LightDM badge and logo

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bigj231

LightDM badge and logo

Post by bigj231 »

Hello everyone,
I decided that the lack of a Linux Mint badge for unity-greeter/lightdm was upsetting enough to do something about it. BEHOLD! I have decided to upload my badge for the cinnamon session. Just copy the attached file into your /usr/share/unity-greeter/ folder and logout.
custom_cinnamon_badge.png
Assuming you have the image saved in your ~/Downloads folder:

Code: Select all

sudo cp ~/Downloads/custom_cinnamon_badge.png /usr/share/unity-greeter/custom_cinnamon_badge.png
If you run MATE as well, you will need to rename the file to something like custom_mate_badge.png and copy it. I'm not sure wether the session name of a MATE session is uppercase (MATE) or not, so if anyone wants to try it out and let me know the correct filename i will update this post with instructions for MATE users as well.

I also modified a Linux Mint logo to replace the ubuntu branding. It's not perfect, but I like it. To use it, just replace the logo.png file in that same folder with the attached logo.png.
Again, assuming you have the image saved in your ~/Downloads folder:

sudo cp /usr/share/unity-greeter/logo.png /usr/share/unity-greeter/logo.png.bak
sudo cp ~/Downloads/logo.png /usr/share/unity-greeter/logo.png
Hope you enjoy.
BigJ
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jfuk86

Re: LightDM badge and logo

Post by jfuk86 »

hi i tried ur instructions and got the cinnamon session logo to work but the mint logo wont show up on login screen any thoughts cheers.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Thanks for the badge, looks much better. Can strike that off my todo-list then :D Cinnamon could do with a unique logo but the mint logo will do for now,
jfuk86

Post by jfuk86 »

all sorted now did fresh install, i think i must of mucked it up first time round
thank very much looks great.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Cool 8)
BigJ, can you post a screenshot of the whole greeter screen? I'm just curious what theme and fonts you're using. My quick and dirty unity-greeter setup looks quite bad with Mint-X theme because of black-on-dark-gray font (the hostname in the upper left corner looks even worse) and the white "<" sign on the "back" button. :)
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Monsta,
I have the same font issue as you, and I've just been too busy to try to figure it out. I have final exams this week, but I will look into it when I get a chance. You could always install the ambiance theme for Ubuntu, but then you get orange hilighting iirc. I did change my font in unity-greeter to 'Sans 11' instead of the Ubuntu default. I somebody could get me a simple cinnamon logo, I could make a quick badge for it instead of the LM badge.

Also, for those of you (here and elsewhere) who don't like the colored logo, here is a white one. Same install instructions as above.
logo.png
And here is a blurred pure white logo. should look slightly smoother, but remember it is blurred (no sharp edges)
logo.png
And finally, Here it is: a cinnamon badge for lightDM. It's not great, but it looks similar to the cinnamon logo.
cinnamon badge.png
Same install instructions as above, just change the fileneme to match the downloaded file.

If you want to know how to make your own badge or logo, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

@bigj231 - I downloaded your badges, renamed the appropriate default lightdm badges in "/usr/share/unity-greeter" and replaced them with your badges using the default names. Works a treat. My LghtDM login screen is now properly Mintified so to speak. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
TeutonJon78

Post by TeutonJon78 »

Odd, my other post disappeared. In case you didn't know, there is a github issue for this already.

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/716
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

I don't have a github account, but if you guys decide on a logo, I will put it in badge form. I would really prefer it with a white or transparent background though

-Bigj
TeutonJon78

Post by TeutonJon78 »

bigj231 wrote:I don't have a github account, but if you guys decide on a logo, I will put it in badge form. I would really prefer it with a white or transparent background though

-Bigj
It's not hard to put in that format at all. It's just an SVG file. I don't know who would be responsible for the bug fixing -- I assume Clem would have to make that call, but he hasn't responded to the bug since giving his idea for the logo.

Edit: I attached a version of what the logo I had created would be as a badge for an idea.
jfuk86

Post by jfuk86 »

is there a way to move the logo to another part of the login screen?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

jfuk86 wrote:is there a way to move the logo to another part of the login screen?
Without modifying the source code you can only "move" it right by adding extra space on its left side, I guess :D
jfuk86

Post by jfuk86 »

Monsta wrote:
jfuk86 wrote:is there a way to move the logo to another part of the login screen?
Without modifying the source code you can only "move" it right by adding extra space on its left side, I guess :D
I've removed the icon completely and paste it to my wallpaper where I want it.
Doing it that way I could also change the size and scale of it too I'll post a picture when I'm back in front of laptop.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Monsta wrote:
That's exactly how I did it.
jfuk86

Post by jfuk86 »

jfuk86 wrote:
Monsta wrote:
I've removed the icon completely and paste it to my wallpaper where I want it.
Doing it that way I could also change the size and scale of it too I'll post a picture when I'm back in front of laptop.
heres my login screen
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Looks nice :)
huoc

Post by huoc »

bigj231 wrote:If you want to know how to make your own badge or logo, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.
Thanks for these great tips and logos!
Is it possible to easily modify the ubuntu purple backgound that appears for a moment before my wallpaper appears or is it only possible with source code modification?
thanks.
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

huoc wrote:Thanks for these great tips and logos!
Is it possible to easily modify the ubuntu purple backgound that appears for a moment before my wallpaper appears or is it only possible with source code modification?
thanks.
It is actually quite simple. I followed the instructions at http://askubuntu.com/questions/72620/ho ... dm-greeter from the first answer. The command you need to use to make it black:

gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter background-color '#000000'
To change the color, just change the HTML code to whatever you feel like, such as:

gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter background-color '#7FC13B'
And don't forget to remove the dots too :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

For those who might be interested, the latest version of Ubuntu Tweak (0.7.3) now supports Linux Mint 13 and for those like myself who prefer to use LightDM over MDM there's a "tweak" for that as well. It allows you to remove the grid (dots), change the background image to whatever you wish or to use your current wallpaper as well as changing the main logo from "Ubuntu 12.04" on LightDM's login screen to whatever you wish. Eliminates the need to go into Gsettings. I've tried it and it works well. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
huoc

Post by huoc »

bigj231 wrote: It is actually quite simple. I followed the instructions at http://askubuntu.com/questions/72620/ho ... dm-greeter from the first answer. The command you need to use to make it black:

gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter background-color '#000000'
To change the color, just change the HTML code to whatever you feel like, such as:

gsettings set com.canonical.unity-greeter background-color '#7FC13B'
And don't forget to remove the dots too :D
thanks. I tried it and unfortunately no luck, still ubuntu color :( I could see the change reflected in dconf editor, it displays the new color code, however I am still getting the violet color :?: I logged out and in and rebooted a couple of times, but still violet... do you have any ideas?

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”