Wallpaper license

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Wallpaper license

Postby andersnp on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:20 am

Hi,

I wonder what the license is for the wallpapers. Are they GPL too, or are there any other restrictions. I would like to use one of them on my webpage, but I am not sure what license or rules that applies to them?

Thanks,
Anders
andersnp
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wallpaper license

Postby remoulder on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 am

http://www.linuxmint.com/faq.php and http://linuxmint-art.org/help/faq1.php?PHPSESSID=c29c3ae80fe250f0c30b54652c86d724 may be useful, but it may also depend on which wallpapers you want to use. You may want to email Clem directly if unsure.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Postby dagon on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:58 am

Every file/package that is installed from the repositories, including wallpapers, has a license file included. This is installed under:
Code: Select all
/usr/share/doc/"package-name"/copyright

1. find the name of the wallpaper
2. search in synaptic (package manager) to find the name of the package it's in.
3. less /usr/share/doc/"package-name"/copyright
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby andersnp on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:06 am

Thanks dagon,

It seems all wallpapers are released under GPLv3, so it should be ok for me.
Is there a way to determine to learn who made the wallpaper or took the shot? I would like to post a credit; In case I can not determine the author I will post a credit to Linux Mint.

Thanks,
Anders.

PS. Dagon, it seems we originate from the same area. I went to high school in Kungälv. Cheers.

dagon wrote:Every file/package that is installed from the repositories, including wallpapers, has a license file included. This is installed under:
Code: Select all
/usr/share/doc/"package-name"/copyright

1. find the name of the wallpaper
2. search in synaptic (package manager) to find the name of the package it's in.
3. less /usr/share/doc/"package-name"/copyright
andersnp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dagon on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Is there a way to determine to learn who made the wallpaper or took the shot? I would like to post a credit; In case I can not determine the author I will post a credit to Linux Mint.

What package/wallpaper is it?
It may be quoted on the forum and be presented in the art section somewhere.[/quote]

PS. Dagon, it seems we originate from the same area. I went to high school in Kungälv. Cheers.

I only moved here two years ago. I'm originally from Värmdö (east of Stockholm)
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper