Change Desktop Background sketchy and disappointing

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Change Desktop Background sketchy and disappointing

Postby CtrlAltDel on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:08 am

Linux Mint Maya 13 w/Mate 64bit.

Right clicking an image in Firefox and selecting Set as Desktop Background doesn't work.

Right clicking an image and selecting Set as Desktop Background in gThumb does not work.

Right clicking an image and selecting Set as Desktop Background DOES work properly in Eye of Mate.

Saving an image to your hard-drive and then opening up Appearance Preferences/Background and manually adding the image/images to that area works properly.

This is really disappointing for me to have such a simple, great, widely used feature seem to be unavailable or available in only one limited and skinned down image viewer like Eye of Mate. I never use Eye of Mate, that isn't what I work with images with or even view images with; I don't even like to have to go to the extra trouble of having to open it.

I certainly am not comfortable with having to download an image, save it, then right click the desktop, go to another dialog box, then click another tab and then click ADD and then set it as the desktop background. That's an awful lot of steps for what used to take one click.

Does anyone know of a way to simply be able to click on an image in gThumb, like you can do in Eye of Mate, and select Set as Desktop Background and have it take effect? Does anyone know how to select an image in Firefox and right click and select Set as Desktop Background and have it work properly?
i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Change Desktop Background sketchy and disappointing

Postby wayne128 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:17 am

CtrlAltDel wrote:Does anyone know of a way to simply be able to click on an image in gThumb, like you can do in Eye of Mate, and select Set as Desktop Background and have it take effect? Does anyone know how to select an image in Firefox and right click and select Set as Desktop Background and have it work properly?

I used xfce4.8
How I change background, open image, right click, Set as Desktop background. That is it.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby CtrlAltDel on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 am

wayne128 wrote:
CtrlAltDel wrote:Does anyone know of a way to simply be able to click on an image in gThumb, like you can do in Eye of Mate, and select Set as Desktop Background and have it take effect? Does anyone know how to select an image in Firefox and right click and select Set as Desktop Background and have it work properly?

I used xfce4.8
How I change background, open image, right click, Set as Desktop background. That is it.

I gave XFCE a try, Wayne. It didn't work either. Thanks for the suggestion though; it was fun looking it over. Unfortunately, the only image viewer that would allow me to right click and select set as desktop background was still just Eye of Mate. I also couldn't set a background from Firefox in XFCE. Firefox would place whatever image I was right clicking on and selecting Save as Background Image into my personal home folder but, not set it as the background.

I had to give up the Marco window manager that comes with Mint 13 Mate and switch to Compiz due to horrible tearing issues I was having in all sorts of videos, including flash on on-line sites like Youtube and in movies that I had saved to my computer and in DVD's, etc... it was pretty frustrating. I couldn't even scroll a web-page without the web-page tearing.

Those same issues came back with XFCE. Compiz seems to be the only composite/window manager that gives me good video performance.
i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Postby CtrlAltDel on Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:59 pm

I guess there is no answer to this, just another regression that is impossible to get any help with. I mean, damn, I have to jump through hoops to set desktop background where it used to be just as easy as pie. No more setting the background from Firefox. No more setting the background from gThumb, hey, just go through 8 steps to set it in Appearance Preferences, that's how to do it. Or use a dinky little image viewer called Eye of Mate; you can't use gThumb any longer.

I hear so much about all the help you are supposed to be able to get with Linux but, when you have a problem, many times the one's with the answers evidently aren't around or can't stoop down to help out a dummy with a dumb question.

At least on Windows forums, you can at least usually get answers or someone will come along and just say, "nope, you can't do that or that won't ever work again or you are out of luck." Here, many times, you are just left hanging. I guess that's the old "figure it out yourself, idiot, and learn something about your computer" attitude that some have.

As of now, for me anyway, there are no answers on how to "simply and easily" set the desktop background.

No answers on how to run the Marco/default window manager in Mint 13 w/Mate while using an Integrated HD Graphics 2000 chip without all the videos tearing.

No answers on how to install software on my Samsung Rugby II cell phone so that I can access it's utilities while using a USB cord.

No answers on how to prevent the box from going into suspend or hibernate mode when using Transmission.

No answers on how to, while being forced to use Compiz on MInt 13 w/Mate, be able to change your Window Border section of your themes without getting deep into the depths of GConf and manually digging down to /apps/metacity/general/theme and editing it by hand.

Etc... And I'm sure there will be another problem tomorrow that no one will have a clue about, or if they do, they can't be bothered to help out. Where are the experts of the board? Where are the smart guys?
i3-2120 Processor
Intel HD Graphics 2000
8 GB Memory - 1 TB HD
Mint 17 Cinnamon 64bit
CtrlAltDel
Level 4
Level 4

Postby abnvolk on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:19 am

I logged in to MATE and use gThumb to change wallpaper. The Cinnamon wallpaper was changed.
So: EoM for MATE, gThumb for GNOME 3.
Linux has many DEs, that's why. Please don't compare it to Windows, because Windows only have ONE desktop environment, that's why any applications can change its wallpaper. gThumb and MATE are for different DEs.
abnvolk
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper