editing /creating themes?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
morri
Level 1
Level 1

editing /creating themes?

Post by morri »

Hi is there either a GUI to create/edit themes in Cinnamon ?(Like emerald? or similar) Also are gnome or GTK themes compatible with cinnamon? I don't want to change that much really actually just a little colour in the menu of programmes as I am fine with anyhting else,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Re: editing /creating themes?

Post by Oscar799 »

Moved here by moderator
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Ouch, noone replied. I asked a similar question about using themes from another distros. No answers. I guess noone knows much about theme creation. Windows has WindowsBlinds and others and I have yet to find anything similar for Linux. Just a little help to point us in the right direction?
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Let me add a bit to the above. I know next to nothing about theme creation and what is or is not possible with current software. And I mean both the creation end of it and what the desktop is capable of applying. There are some nice themes out there. But what I see is various window parts with a solid color or a color gradient applied to give the illusion of a 3d effect. My Firefox tabs have a lighter color edge to create that 3d effect. Instead of using a color or gradient, is it possible to use a texture map (not sure if this is correct terminology, etc.) of for example polished granite to apply to various window parts. That would be nice. Polished granite, marble, gold ,silver or copper and have it ray-traced so it looks as real as possible?
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I'll add again. I found these three links in my searching.
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tut ... asma/Theme
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=62401
http://askubuntu.com/questions/47643/ho ... -for-unity

These are the best I could find. It looks like creating a theme from scratch is a bit more difficult than I thought it would be. Probably a lot more difficult than creating a custom Conky. So, for now, I put this on hold.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

morri wrote:Hi is there either a GUI to create/edit themes in Cinnamon ?(Like emerald? or similar) Also are gnome or GTK themes compatible with cinnamon? I don't want to change that much really actually just a little colour in the menu of programmes as I am fine with anyhting else,
Cinnamon is a shell on top of Gnome 3, so Gnome (gtk3) themes work in Cinnamon the same way they do in other Gnome DE distros.

There are no GUIs and extremely little in the way of guides - you learn by doing :)

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”