bootsplash screen

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ritchi

bootsplash screen

Post by ritchi »

Hi it me again. I would first like to give a giant shout out to the guys and gals at mint, you guys/gals rock and don't let anyone tell you any different.

I have a two part question concerning my bootsplash screen. Firstly as I use duel monitors (1280x1024x2 screens) configured to twin view, and would like the image to span both screens with the login box to remain in the center of the first monitor. Secondly I would like to change the image to a .jpeg I have. Is this possible??

I an using mint 13 Maya MATE kernel Linux 3.2.0-23-generic, Nvidia x86-64 driver version 304.88 on a Dell precision 490 Xeon 2.88 quad core box.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hexdef101

Re: bootsplash screen

Post by hexdef101 »

well my friend i can give you part of the information you are looking for.

/lib/plymouth/themes........ choose a theme to modify

open jpeg in gimp...... save image as png

i would suggest downloading one from gnome look to modify

something like this [url]http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/?content=156017[/url]

sudo update-alternatives --install /lib/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth default.plymouth /lib/plymouth/themes/mytheme/mytheme.plymouth 100
sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth
sudo update-initramfs -u

of course you need to change mytheme.plymouth to whatever plymouth file you use

if you want to change the mdm theme thats similer just without the terminal commands.'
look in /usr/share/mdm/themes

modify your chosen theme

load in menu...administration...login window

as to the multi monitor part well cannot help you there
ritchi

Post by ritchi »

Thanks for the help. I actually managed to solve both my problems through the login windows preference. Thanks to your post, you were right, the image has to be a .png, and has to be in the /lib/plymouth/theme folder. Then I just went to the login windows preference, selected the Local tab
set the Style to plain, pointed the background image to the .png in the /lib/plymouth/theme folder, and unchecked the Scale to fit screen. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again Bud, good Karma to you
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

sorry it took so long to reply back. I can be a bit forgetful of posts I make here (very few and then usually just wallpapers and such).

Glad I could help. Mods such as those are my thing (not that I know how to always do them, just how to find the info). Usually through the old image replacement method (god do I miss GDM 1, so so easy).

Just as a point though, I think you can also use .svg not sure though (I stink at Inkscape)

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”