How to customize Mint-X GTK theme colours

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caribriz

Re: How to customize Mint-X GTK theme colours

Post by caribriz »

Brahim,

I think it's looking good .... have sent you a PM.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

caribriz wrote:Brahim,

I think it's looking good .... have sent you a PM.
Thanks man I have edited Minty > gtk-2.0 > Apps > Caja > toolbarbg.png :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Awesome theme, Brahim.
I like Minty-v2.
A good example of how to create a great theme.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

austin.texas wrote:Awesome theme, Brahim.
I like Minty-v2.
A good example of how to create a great theme.

Many thanks man :D :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

What about the Cinnamon theme? Do you like it guys or do you think we shoud improve it? :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

One isue with Minty-V2 http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=162491 The window metacity theme stopped working for no clear reason when I moved the themeto us/share/themes :( :( It lookslike this now:

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

looking good
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

I like the cinnamon theme too :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

It is a permission problem with the metacity theme :( WHEN i TRY TO COPY IT FROM USR/SHARE/THEMESTO MY DESKTOP I GET THIS

PS: i have changed the permission and now the metacity theme failed to load
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Mmm, don't know .... it's still working for me after moving from ~/.themes to /usr/share/themes .... :?:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

caribriz wrote:Mmm, don't know .... it's still working for me after moving from ~/.themes to /usr/share/themes .... :?:
I fixed that! It is a permission issue :D I have updated the theme check it now :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

BTW caribriz why didn't you upload the blue http://gnome-look.org It looks great with the new metacity theme here :D

Please upload it and send us a link :D
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Good work. It doesn't seem to be completely compatible with mint 14 though. Its the Window theme that doesn't work. Everything else does though. I will have to find a Window theme that works with it. Guess I will have to update this dang computer sometime. Either way Good job
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Update: Found a Metacity that works with my system. gonna have to further mod it though. figured out the color part at least.

Am Modding Theme Metacity..... and modding Minty to work with my theme style. will post to deviantart when finished. Freaking buttons aren't in the right place and they are too big on the replacement metacity.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

hexdef101 wrote:Update: Found a Metacity that works with my system. gonna have to further mod it though. figured out the color part at least.

Am Modding Theme Metacity..... and modding Minty to work with my theme style. will post to deviantart when finished. Freaking buttons aren't in the right place and they are too big on the replacement
metacity.

You are right about Minty-V2 metacity font colour! It should be black like Minty metacity :D
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

caribriz how can we change the colour and font of metacity theme in Minty-V2! I want to make it like Minty metacity :D
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

I tried modding your theme to fit my style, Brahim. It had unintended side effects LOL. That is why I don't make these things myself. The side effect is that almost all of my window borders now work with your theme on mint 14, which is good. but unfortunate because it probably won't work on other systems. If you feel like Making the mod yourself let me know and I will post the code changes and artwork on deviantart. The cinnamon part works, Its the metacity thats Flaky. I had replaced the metacity, with another working theme, and a mod to make it work better. But the mod versions buttons don't work, causing it to load the originals from mint-x I think. as these are the ones you used its ok anyway, The instability causes everything else to work though and I have no idea why that is. As I said this is why I don't do coding Lmao. Oh modded my Mint Rising wallpaper to fit the theme and Posted to my wallpapers post for download, along with a screenshot in dec screenshots.

Oh I wasn't talking about font color. but Metacity colors. Your font colors are fine on my system at least.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Brahim wrote:caribriz how can we change the colour and font of metacity theme in Minty-V2! I want to make it like Minty metacity :D
I'll have a look at it soon .... but not right now ... too busy!!!
Can't guarantee I can fix it either :) Hopefully someone else can chip in with some ideas in the meantime.
BTW caribriz why didn't you upload the blue http://gnome-look.org It looks great with the new metacity theme here :D
I might at some stage, but I'd have to do more testing and experimenting with it. It's not ready.

Just a cautionary note:
I think that these themes, both Brahim's and my blue theme made in LM16 with the LM16 version of the Mint-X theme are really for use in LM16 Cinnamon.
They may not display exactly the same in previous/future versions of Linux Mint or in other desktop environments.

I think the gtk version used can change from release to release - that's maybe why you can see some problems.

For example, I found the Mint-X theme in LM13 is slightly different from the version of Mint-X in later releases - and this can affect how it looks if you try to install one of these "tweaked" themes made in, and with the Mint-X theme that belongs to one release of Mint, in a later/earlier release.

I do my blue themes for each version of LM - 13, 14, 15, 16 etc. for my own use and if I provide a link to it, specify that it is for use with that version
..... and have said it before and will say it again .... I'm no expert :P I only know what works for me.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

yeah it does have an effect. That said I have found an interesting working glitch that will make it work in some earlier versions (well 14 at least).

The Mod I made works like this.

1. Have original Minty theme in /usr/share/themes
2. chmod Minty theme to 755
3. Have Modified Minty theme in ~/.themes it uses another themes metacity modified slightly, and a modified Minty Cinnamon.css to change panel
4. have Gnome-Cupertino or Gnome-Cupertino-Mint in ~.themes

The end effect is that because the Modified metacity doesn't match, the theme reverts back to the originals metacity buttons and stuff, But leaves the colors unfazed (so they match.
then all you have to do is change to the gnome-cupertino metacity theme (or dozens of others for that matter) and everything works together. one annoyance though is that it might not change the metacity colors if you change themes. The fix is to change the cinnamon theme to one that does change the color, then everything works normally.

I only figured it out because I removed the root theme and tried to change the theme.

screenshot to prove it does work strangely enough

caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Yes, interesting ... good you posted your workaround. I'll have to check it out later. The more info/feedback the better.

PS. Love your artwork hexdef101 :D

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”