How To Theme The Cinnamon Main Menu Colors

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hexdef101

Re: How To Theme The Cinnamon Main Menu Colors

Post by hexdef101 »

all you may have to do is the scale/canvas size trick to make it fit each particular menu.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

My University of Texas Longhorns Theme is almost done. I just have some details to finish.

Burnt Orange Longhorn
Image Image Image

I wanted to add a note about how to fix the fatal mistakes that I made while making this theme. I crashed Cinnamon multiple times because I didn't delete things like ) and */ when I was supposed to, as well as accidentally pasting an extra line where it was not supposed to be.
The program Meld saved me every time. I loaded the faulty cinnamon.css and my good backup cinnamon.css into Meld, and Meld showed me quickly where the mistake was. Without that it would have been nearly impossible to find those little defects.
So get Meld and use it. It could save lots of time.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install meld
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
gmc85
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gmc85 »

austin.texas wrote:My University of Texas Longhorns Theme is almost done. I just have some details to finish.

Burnt Orange Longhorn
Image Image Image

I wanted to add a note about how to fix the fatal mistakes that I made while making this theme. I crashed Cinnamon multiple times because I didn't delete things like ) and */ when I was supposed to, as well as accidentally pasting an extra line where it was not supposed to be.
The program Meld saved me every time. I loaded the faulty cinnamon.css and my good backup cinnamon.css into Meld, and Meld showed me quickly where the mistake was. Without that it would have been nearly impossible to find those little defects.

WOW. It look's great, austin :)
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

That Longhorns theme is fantastic :D

Also, that tip to use Meld to find your mistake in the cinnamon.css file is very handy :wink:
Thanks for sharing it.
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Its quite nice Austin. Good work.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

austin.texas wrote:My University of Texas Longhorns Theme is almost done. I just have some details to finish.

Burnt Orange Longhorn
Image Image Image

wow where can I get this theme austin? :shock: :shock:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

wow where can I get this theme austin?
I will finish it and publish it fairly soon. I still want to tweak some things.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Hi everybody :)

As some will know, I've been working on a beginner's Cinnamon themes tutorial
- a step-by-step "how-to" to change the colors of the main elements of a Cinnamon theme.

It's very basic, written in "beginner's language" with lots of pictures.
The goal is simply to try to gain a basic understanding of where the parts of the theme relate to the cinnamon.css file.

It's done with LM16 Cinnamon (cinnamon 2.0) and is based on the default cinnamon theme installed in LM16 - "Linux Mint".
I can confirm the tutorial and the theme it creates also works in and with LM13 Cinnamon (cinnamon 2.0 backported).
But, I cannot guarantee that it will work with previous/future versions of cinnamon or other themes.

If the tutorial's steps are followed, a copy of the "Linux Mint" cinnamon theme:

will turn into "Linux-Mint-2" cinnamon theme:

If interested and would like to have a look:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/i934f6tm6 ... -THEME.pdf

Edit: The original pdf has now been updated to include a suggestion from JosephM regarding gedit preferences.
The above link is to the latest pdf file.

Here is the theme it created:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ncw77 ... t-2.tar.gz

It isn't a total color change of everything in the theme.
The main idea is that it's a hands-on learning exercise for Cinnamon theme beginners.

Use at your own risk. It is not recommended for those totally new to linux to attempt.

Thanks to austin.texas, Brahim and hexdef101 for giving feedback on the tutorial.
Last edited by caribriz on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

You rare getting more and more professional :D What a great tutorial. Keep the good work :D Can you post it in the howtos section on this forum please for others to browse :D
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Thanks Brahim.
Yes, I might put it in the Tutorials/How-to section too.

Edit:
I have also put it in the Tutorials section now, with a link back to this thread.
The pdf file has also been updated (new link) above, to include a suggestion from JosephM about gedit preferences.
Last edited by caribriz on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I finished my Burnt Orange Longhorn Theme, with the University of Texas Longhorns colors - burnt orange and white.

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/289
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=163032
Linux Linx 2018
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

austin.texas wrote:I finished my Burnt Orange Longhorn Theme, with the University of Texas Longhorns colors - burnt orange and white.

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/289
http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=163032
Great theme austin - well done :)
I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone asks you - "Can you make me one for the University of ...."
Might be busy :wink:
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone asks you - "Can you make me one for the University of ...."
I can imagine...
But I will be happy to point them in the right direction:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/5241316xl ... -theme.pdf
Linux Linx 2018
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

austin.texas wrote:But I will be happy to point them in the right direction:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/5241316xl ... -theme.pdf
:lol: .... from the links provided in it, they'll end up back here to see the advanced tips and learn how to put in the images. :wink:

But, I've updated the tutorial now - to include a suggestion made by JosephM in a related thread regarding setting up gedit properly - so the lines in cinnamon.css line
up properly, and you can see the line numbers too. (You made a similar suggestion to this as well.)
So .... I decided to redo the pictures in the tutorial - just of the cinnamon.css images - and edited the introduction a bit too. Did a couple more little tweaks while I was at it.

So this is the new link to the edited (new) tutorial -
http://www.mediafire.com/view/i934f6tm6 ... -THEME.pdf

PS. I edited my original post about the tutorial in this thread above - it now links to the edited version as well.
gmc85
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gmc85 »

I updated my Mint-XP theme and also made the silver and olive-green version.

You can get them on gnome-look or from noobslab PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/themes
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install win-xp-theme

icons ppa:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/icons
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install win-icons
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

gmc85 wrote:I updated my Mint-XP theme and also made the silver and olive-green version.
Really nice themes, gmc58 :D
Beautiful work.
gmc85
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gmc85 »

caribriz wrote:
gmc85 wrote:I updated my Mint-XP theme and also made the silver and olive-green version.
Really nice themes, gmc58 :D
Beautiful work.
Thanx :)
hexdef101

Post by hexdef101 »

Good work Gmc85
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

hexdef101