Has anyone tried to change icons of mintUpdate?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ocean

Has anyone tried to change icons of mintUpdate?

Post by Ocean »

Has anyone tried to change icons with Mint 16? (changing the icons on Mint 14 got me in trouble)

If Yes, the format should be png or svg or both?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Has anyone tried to change icons of mintUpdate?

Post by kyphi »

svg or png - either format is OK.

The easiest way to change the icons is to access them via left click on your Update Manager shield on the panel, select "Edit", "Preferences", "Icons".
Of course it would be an advantage to have your new icons ready in an easily accessible folder.
You can get ready-made update icons from http://linuxmint-art.org

If you prefer to alter the default icons supplied, you will find these in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/icons.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Ocean

Post by Ocean »

OK thanks, but I just wanted to know if you've tried to do it with the first method, and if you haven't had trouble with mintUpdate later?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Yes, I have changed the mintUpdate icons on my system. Doing so does not affect the functioning of the Update Manager.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Ocean

Post by Ocean »

kyphi wrote: The easiest way to change the icons is to access them via left click on your Update Manager shield on the panel, select "Edit", "Preferences", "Icons".
So?
It is still visible in the bottom right panel mintUpdate?
with LM 16 Mate or Cinnamon?

Thanks
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Since you are only changing an icon, the update manager icon will still appear on the panel in the usual place.

Keep in mind that if you change your theme, your new icons may not be as visible. So, you can develop pale icons to show on a dark background or dark icons to show on a pale background.

The following table may be of help to you in ascribing new icons to their description - of course it depends on which icons you have chosen. svg format shown but you can use png.

Busy = base.svg .......................................... shows an icon with nothing in the centre.
System up-to-date = base-apply.svg .............. shows an icon with a tick.
Updates available = base-info.svg ................. shows an icon with an "i" for information.
Error = base-error.svg ................................... shows an icon with an "x" for error.
Unknown state = base.svg ............................ shows an icon with nothing in the centre.
Applying updates = base-exec.svg ................. shows an icon with a gear in the centre.

Use the GIMP to vary colours and insignia.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”