Exprorting Mint 15 Bacgrounds & Importing them to MINT 16

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Exprorting Mint 15 Bacgrounds & Importing them to MINT 16

Postby HilltopsGM on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:00 pm

Mint 15 had a background called "Winter Fog" that I'd like to import to Mint 16.

How would I add this?

Out of curiosity, how does the community decide what themes, backgrounds, etc, etc, to add to each release?

There have been some really nice ones in the past that I'd sure like to be able to import as I move along with the new releases.

Thanks
HilltopsGM
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

3 ways of getting Mint 15 wallpapers on Mint 16

Postby karlchen on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:21 am

Hello, HilltopsGM,

as a rule the wallpaper files can be found in the folders below /usr/share/backgrounds.
This it true for the Cinnamon desktop. The xfce desktop puts its wallpaper files under /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops. (On my xfce system I see a symlink /usr/share/backgrounds pointing to /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops. The symlink date suggests that the Mint installer created the link, date of installation = date of symlink. But I cannot tell whether this symlink will be present on all xfce desktop systems.)
I do not know where KDE desktops store their global wallpapers.

Anyway, if you have still got access to a functioning Mint 15 system, you should be able to locate the global wallpers and simply copy them to a USB pendrive and from the USB pendrive to your Mint 16 system.
In case you do not have access a functioning Mint 15 system, you might use a Mint 15 live system instead and copy the wallpaper files from the live system.

You might also look for software packages here, Olivia, that have got the string "background" in their names, download them manually and extract the wallpaper files which you like from the .deb installation packages. The software package "mint-backgrounds-olivia_1.4_all.deb" looks like a very promising candidate, in particular with respect to finding "Winter Fog".

Looks as if the package "mint-backgrounds-olivia" should also be available inside the Mint 16 Petra software repositories. So you may forget all the hassle of all the manual approaches explained above and simply install "mint-backgrounds-olivia" from the Mint repos. :wink:

HTH,
Karl
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Exprorting Mint 15 Bacgrounds & Importing them to MINT 1

Postby HilltopsGM on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Hey Karl, THANKS!
My learning curve is still fairly steep, and posts like yours are VERY VERY helpful.
Thanks again.
HilltopsGM
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper