Some Cinnamon 17 Icons move each time I reboot

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Some Cinnamon 17 Icons move each time I reboot

Post by mikecolley »

Hi all:

Really like Cinnamon mint17. SWEET! Thank You Clem!!!!!

Does anybody have some virtual nails I can use on my desktop? (chuckle..... but I really do have a problem)

Details:

I run a live session with persistence. The userid is mint. I have several of these running on USB flash drives created using http://www.linuxliveusb.com with [casper-rw] persistent partition created with gparted (and that makes a really large persistent file area doing it that way).

I have maybe 30 icons on my big iron production HP8730w desktop. When I re-boot, about 5 of these icons have moved to the "next icon position" on the desktop and piled on top of each other. All of the other icons on the desktop stay put after re-boot and go to where they are supposed to be every time I re-boot. But, every time I re-boot I have to unpile these same five icons(same icons every time) from on top of each other. After I place these icons where I want them to be on the desktop, they stay put until my next re-boot when they pile on top of each other again.

This only happens after every re-boot. This failure happenes on both 32 and 64 bit live sessions. This failure happens on both 32bit original mint17 and 32bit V2. This failure happens when moving the flash drive to four different PCs, one HP8730w and two Acer One PCs(On the Acer One flash drive I only have about six total icons on the desktop for that flash drive but every time I re-boot, two of the icons are always piled on top of each other) and one other PC I don't remember what kind it was. This is a consistent failure, happens every time without fail. The icons that move are a script file, a text file, a directory folder, the "Install Linux Mint" icon and a symbolic link.

An additional problem with desktop icons I have is that I restored a clonezilla copy of one of these USB flash drives from a disk image to another flash drive and two of the icons disappeared off of the desktop. I went to the file manager and could see them in the Desktop directory, but I couldn't see them on the desktop. I thought clonezilla made an exact image of the files on the USB flash drive, but apparently not because these files were still visable on the original USB flash drive desktop although they moved on the desktop.

I don't "install" mint17 to the USB flash drive rather I only use mint17 put on the flash drive as a live session using Linux LIve http://www.linuxliveusb.com . The flash drive boots up direct to the desktop with no intervention and I'm ready to go (except for these few icons piled on top of each other). The reason I like the live session is so I don't wear out the USB flash drive with too many writes, I've already ruined one flash drive this way I'm guessing with too many writes to it using mint16 cinnamon in LUKS (now it is a read only flash drive).

I need some virtual nails because I can't use real nails on my LCD PC display. How do I nail down these icons so they don't move around on the desktop and pile on top of each other each time I re-boot? I would even be happy if they moved around, just not pile on top of each other.

Thanks! - Mike Colley
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Some Cinnamon 17 Icons move each time I reboot

Post by mikecolley »

No answers yet......hmmmm. This suggests I'm not doing anything incorrectly and there is no work around.

Does anyone know if this issue of moving icons and icons piling on top of each other when using casper-rw is on the list of issues to be fixed? Note: I don't know how to submit a bug report.

Thanks - Mike
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

The icons are staying put now. WHY?????? WHY???????????
I did change /etc/bash.bashrc and probably many other things, but I wouldn't think that had anything to do with it, the change was:
code snippet:

Code: Select all

else
        if [[ ${EUID} == 0 ]] ; then
                # show root@ when we don't have colors
                PS1='\u@\h \W \$ '
        else
# was -----                PS1='\u@\h \w \$ '
                PS1="\u@`hostname -I | cut -d' ' -f1` \W \$ "
        fi
fi

# Try to keep environment pollution down, EPA loves us.
I am running the following from a "create a new launcher here..." and I specified to Launch in terminal. Also I was trying to display two backslashes in a row from a bash script file in a shell window. I wanted the following output \\192.168.2.10\ and I had to use:

Code: Select all

echo \\\\\\\\`hostname -I | cut -d' ' -f1`\\
OK, I did something and the result wasn't what I expected, but it works just fine. That is scarry. Can anyone make sense of either the icons or the backslashes?

Thanks! - Mike
mikecolley
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikecolley »

Update:

The /etc/bash.bashrc change and the ~/.bashrc change didn't fix the icons moving and piling on top of each other for a live system (DVD image on USB flash drive with casper-rw), so this isn't the fix.

BTW, I fixed the backslash problem by inserting "#!/bin/bash" as the first line of the script file.

but still no fix for the icons piling on top of each other.

- Mike

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”