How to customize menu icon

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rjvencken
Level 1
Level 1

How to customize menu icon

Post by rjvencken »

It would be nice to add my own icons to submenus. Adding them to menu items is no problem through the standard "Edit menu" functionality available through right clicking on the menu button. I simply click on the *.png files I created myself. Whenever I try to do the same with a submenu it does not work. I seem to be limited to the existing themes. Even when I alter one of those existing icon-files (e.g. edit-undo.png) and save it under the same name I do not see the edited picture. Do I need to create my own theme? Any shorter route for this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: How to customize menu icon

Post by jahid »

I generally do this in the ancient way.....

By editing the .desktop file in /usr/share/applications

Look for the Icon=something line and change the path (text after =) to the path of your icon file...

For editing the .desktop file you will need to open it with root privilege...
storyjesse

Re: How to customize menu icon

Post by storyjesse »

I have the same or a similar problem. I'm trying to change the icon for libreoffice-startcenter

The Desktop Entry shows only "libreoffice-startcenter" for the icon. Which I thought translated to /usr/share/icons/theme_name/apps/size/libreoffice-startcenter.png
This IS what it translates to for the menu and panel icons, but for some reason I cannot fathom the desktop icon and 'pinned' icon remain the same. I've even searched my entire hard drive using

Code: Select all

sudo updatedb && locate *libreoffice*.png
and/or

sudo updatedb && locate *libreoffice*.svg
and can safely say that the icon shown does NOT EXIST under that name. ALL libreoffice-startcenter.png and libreoffice-startcenter.svg files on my computer have been changed to my new custom icon.

Where else can I look for this icon? Are icons somehow cached so that they persist even after rebooting? This is really doing my head in. :? :shock: :x

/usr/share/applications/libreoffice-startcenter.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Terminal=false
NoDisplay=false
Icon=libreoffice-startcenter
Type=Application
Categories=Office;X-Red-Hat-Base;X-SuSE-Core-Office;X-MandrivaLinux-Office-Other;
Exec=libreoffice %U
MimeType=application/vnd.openofficeorg.extension;
Name=LibreOffice
GenericName=Office
storyjesse

Problem Fixed but How and Why?

Post by storyjesse »

I have no idea why, but today when I started my laptop the correct icon was showing.

I'm guessing it WAS a cache problem but I DID RESTART and the problem persisted. Perhaps there is something different about selecting "Restart" from the "Power Off..." prompt as opposed to "Shutdown" and then turning the machine back on again?

My only other idea is that perhaps there is some cache which is written to disk and refreshed periodically?

If anyone has any insights please post them, but at least it's working now. :-)

Cheers

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”