share a theme with all users

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jjmk1

share a theme with all users

Post by jjmk1 »

when i install a theme with linux mint 17.1 it is only avialble to the user that i install the theme.
this doesn't really make sense why a theme would not go to a central location so all users on my machine can access the new theme.
as it is now i have to download the theme for each user.

please advice how to make a centralized theme library.

thx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: share a theme with all users

Post by xenopeek »

Themes are installed in the user's home folder in the hidden .themes folder. Toggle to show hidden files in your file manager to see it (usually a menu option, or Ctrl+H). For example let's install Numix-Cinnamon for our user. The files would be installed in ~/.themes/Numix-Cinnamon.

System themes are installed in /usr/share/themes. You can copy a user theme there if you want, though mind that you won't be able to update the theme except by downloading the updated version for a user and repeating the copy process. To copy Numix-Cinnamon from our user folder to the system folder:

Code: Select all

sudo cp -Riv ~/.themes/Numix-Cinnamon /usr/share/themes
For your user you'll see the theme twice in the theme selection list--once unlocked (from your user folder) and once locked (from the system folder). You can delete the theme from your user folder if you want.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”