Easy way to change cinnamon and gtk theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mkg3103

Easy way to change cinnamon and gtk theme

Post by mkg3103 »

Dear Friends, please forgive me for my less knowledge.
I am trying to edit my cinnamon theme for last two months( it is quite learning) but not happy with end results due to following issues.

1. Its tiresome to match gtk theme and cinnamon themes color.
2. Is there any easy method to edit cinnamon and gtk theme and match them so that I can get same colours in all apps.
3. Is there any map file so that I can understand which part in cinnamon.css file refers to actual display on screen.
4. Please also guide why we use dark colours in themes.Is light themes hampers the processing power of computer.
5. Why we have to edit so many cinnamon.css , gtk* files to create new themes.

Please help me. Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Easy way to change cinnamon and gtk theme

Post by richyrich »

I don't use Cinnamon, but this tutorial will help you understand css. (And it has a colour picker right on it's first page.)

w3schools - CSS Tutorial
mkg3103

Post by mkg3103 »

Hi richyrich
Thanks for your reply. I have started the css and html learning from link given by you.
I also want to clarify my query that if a novice user like me have to learn css and html for the sake of customizing the theme on my laptop then its time taking exercise.
We need some easy method to do that so that new users can also enjoy the process of theme customisation. It should not become a programming work. Its my personal view.
Any person switching from windows should feel at ease in customising the system and enjoy new OS.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

A lot of this depends on the theme you decide to use. Some themes are complete, gtk-2.0, gtk-3.0, matacity-1, Cinnamon, xfwn4, some themes are not so complete and that's when you run into problems. Sometimes the creator of a theme that is not complete, (in our case Cinnamon), will provide a reference where to find the missing part of the theme. Sometimes other users will provide this information in the comments.

Clem tried to make things easier in Mint 17.1 by adding some theme options but everyone has their own taste and preferences. Also, Windows is limited as far as themes and new users usually stay with the defaults. As users gain confidence and experience in both Windows and Linux they start thinking about customizing their system.
mkg3103

Post by mkg3103 »

Hi Exploder
I agree with your point.
Please forgive me for my blunt remark.
I am trying to find out an easy method to modify cinnamon and gtk themes so that theme editing can become fun.
For example with my trial and error method I am trying to create am map so that any body can relate the classes and codes in cinnamon.css file to actual area on screen which is getting effected by change in those particular classes or codes.
I am looking for any help so that it can be less time consuming. If you can help me with this.
I still have to understand the gtk themes file.
By Profession I am an accountant so it is programming is going over my head and taking more efforts from me even though that is quite educating.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Hi mkg3103

I misunderstood what you were trying to do. I get what you mean now.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”