Default wallpaper; how to edit the text on it?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sepkio

Default wallpaper; how to edit the text on it?

Post by Sepkio »

So, I would love to modify the green text "Mint" on the original image. I have found the background but not the text. Where is the location of the text?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jtarin

Re: Default wallpaper; how to edit the text on it?

Post by jtarin »

Post a screenshot of the wallpaper you are referring to.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I am no guru of GIMP, but it is likely that the text was made part of the graphic, as a layer.
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-tex ... ement.html
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
Sepkio

Post by Sepkio »

jtarin wrote:Post a screenshot of the wallpaper you are referring to.
This would be the one.

Sepkio

Post by Sepkio »

austin.texas wrote:I am no guru of GIMP, but it is likely that the text was made part of the graphic, as a layer.
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-tex ... ement.html
I'm sure you are correct on this because I did find an image of the background only with no text. It's the text image I'm looking for.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The wallpaper is a 3d rendering. It doesn't come in separate parts so I'm not sure you're going to find what you are looking for.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Sepkio

Post by Sepkio »

JosephM wrote:The wallpaper is a 3d rendering. It doesn't come in separate parts so I'm not sure you're going to find what you are looking for.
Ok. Thank you
jtarin

Post by jtarin »

(Quick and dirty way without installing extra software) Fire up Libre Office Writer and investigate "Insert>Media>Fontwork Gallery. Play around with the controls and font type and you can get what you want.Export as a .png. Or you can overlay it onto a wallpaper you have made...say in the Gimp or edit the Writer results. You might have to install extra fonts to achieve what you want, but there are millions of free fonts available on the web.

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Fon ... l_Text_Art
Sepkio

Post by Sepkio »

jtarin wrote:(Quick and dirty way without installing extra software) Fire up Libre Office Writer and investigate "Insert>Media>Fontwork Gallery. Play around with the controls and font type and you can get what you want.Export as a .png. Or you can overlay it onto a wallpaper you have made...say in the Gimp or edit the Writer results. You might have to install extra fonts to achieve what you want, but there are millions of free fonts available on the web.

https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Fon ... l_Text_Art
Thank you much, I will check it out this weekend.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Sepkio,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to have more specific system setup information, see FYI below.

Also, what exactly are you trying to change, what do you want to do with the text? You can create your own "wallpaper" with your own image(s) and text, or choose another one for this. If you Google search images for "Linux Mint" wallpaper, you will see numerous images available that you can download and use. On My KDE that wallpaper's text is in Blue. Of course if you know how to use any of the image editors, like Gimp, you can create, and or modify, your image(s) with those.

FYI: It would help everyone here to have more information about your system's setup: like what edition and version of Linux Mint are you using, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (my favorite), or Xfce; version 17, 17.1, 17.2, or What?; 32-bit or 64-bit? Some more information about your hardware would be useful as well. You can get this information from top of your system menu's Welcome screen, System Information program(s), and the best is by typing in "inxi -Fxz" from a console terminal prompt, which you can then copy and paste back here. This information helps anyone here in this forum to be able to answer any questions you may have better :), thanks. You can even add this information (abbreviated) to your signature using the control panel link in the above left of this forum screen; then when you post a question or reply to one, that info will automatically be there, ex: see mine and others below their posts.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Sepkio

Post by Sepkio »

phd21 wrote:Hi Sepkio,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to have more specific system setup information, see FYI below.

Also, what exactly are you trying to change, what do you want to do with the text? You can create your own "wallpaper" with your own image(s) and text, or choose another one for this. If you Google search images for "Linux Mint" wallpaper, you will see numerous images available that you can download and use. On My KDE that wallpaper's text is in Blue. Of course if you know how to use any of the image editors, like Gimp, you can create, and or modify, your image(s) with those.

FYI: It would help everyone here to have more information about your system's setup: like what edition and version of Linux Mint are you using, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (my favorite), or Xfce; version 17, 17.1, 17.2, or What?; 32-bit or 64-bit? Some more information about your hardware would be useful as well. You can get this information from top of your system menu's Welcome screen, System Information program(s), and the best is by typing in "inxi -Fxz" from a console terminal prompt, which you can then copy and paste back here. This information helps anyone here in this forum to be able to answer any questions you may have better :), thanks. You can even add this information (abbreviated) to your signature using the control panel link in the above left of this forum screen; then when you post a question or reply to one, that info will automatically be there, ex: see mine and others below their posts.

I am trying to change the color of the text from green to blue. I am familiar and good with GIMP. I just cannot find the file for the default Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon wallpaper. I have found an image for version 14 online and can edit that perfectly fine, However that is version 14 and I would like to have it with the current version. At this point I believe I'm just going to screenshot it and make my own image.
jtarin

Post by jtarin »

I just cannot find the file for the default Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon wallpaper.
/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Sepkio,

The blue text version of this wallpaper is the default for my Linux Mint KDE. It located on my system in
/usr/share/wallpapers/Linux_Mint/contents/images/

and it is called "1920x1200.1.png", or "screenshot.png".

As user "jtarin" just pointed out, these are usually located in one or both of the folders below.

/usr/share/backgrounds
and or
/usr/share/wallpapers

You can also search for any files, by their extension and or names, through your file manager, console terminal prompt, a menu item like "find files/folders", installing various other "find or search" programs, some image related programs will also automatically find images, etc....

Example: from a console terminal prompt, type in: (note this will produce a lot of results to sift through)

locate *.png *.jpg

Hope this helps ...

FYI: You do not usually need to keep the text from another's reply when you hit "quote" to a post or reply. After creating your reply, just go back up to the top and delete the previous reply's quoted text, before "submitting" your reply. No need to duplicate the text usually.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Grab the Linux Mint KDE screenshot here. http://www.linuxmint.com/pictures/scree ... la/kde.png
Combine it with the image in your own install.
Cut, paste, enjoy. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That was easy actually. Look, it's done. What do you think?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi M0em,

Looks good.

What do you mean "combine it with the image in your own install." How did you do that?

You could obviously download the file, then overwrite the current image, or save it as a new image, and just change your wallpaper to the newly downloaded image.

If the purpose, goal, or exercise, is to use an image editor (like Gimp) to actually change the text (object's) color from what it is to another, then that's a different matter.
How to Change the Colour of Objects using Gimp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2_887Lw-vo
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUw8NSpQR8
or
GIMP: change one colour to another?
http://superuser.com/questions/153248/g ... to-another
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

phd21 wrote:Hi M0em,

Looks good.

What do you mean "combine it with the image in your own install." How did you do that?
Thanks! I used Paint Shop Pro (my graphics weapon of choice since ten years or more) to stack the KDE image on top of the original Mint Cinnamon background image as a layer, then used an eraser tool to erase the KDE logo and the icons and panel so the bottom image showed through.

Attached is a blue minty background, in case anyone wants one. This one was made by altering the colour on the original Mint Cinnamon background image. Slightly different process, slightly different effect. Enjoy!

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

I tried one of the web link suggestions from my post on changing color of the Linux Mint logo wallpaper text object using Gimp. You just click on "colors" on toolbar, then "hue-saturation", slide the hue bar left or right for various colors. Then, you can click "File", "Export as", and pick a format that you want to save it as.

Click picture below to see short video, or right click open in new tab.
Gimp_Color_11-21-2015-1.gif
Sepkio

Post by Sepkio »

Wow. Thank you all for the answers and the help in finding the image.

For sure hue a saturation is the way to go. That was how I did it with the Mint v.14 image.
Sepkio

Post by Sepkio »

jtarin wrote:
I just cannot find the file for the default Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon wallpaper.
/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint
Thank you much.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”