Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lurkatron

Re: Gnome-3 "Shell Extensions"

Post by lurkatron »

dont know if this is new but the official extensions page now has an rss feed so that you wont have to browse thru the entire list daily (or hourly in my case)
https://extensions.gnome.org/rss/
BlueSky77

Post by BlueSky77 »

axel668 wrote: I totally don't agree. "One size fits all" doesn't work, see Unity ... Besides, I want to decide for myself what my desktop environment looks like and how it behaves. Customizing is essential for modern software, that's why I use Firefox for browsing and Gnome 3 on the desktop. Besides, Gnome3 is perfectly usable without extensions, most of them are in fact just convenience for XP / Gnome2 users who don't get the new concepts.
I completely agree with you. If you want to be dictated to about how your desktop appears and how it behaves, use Unity. If not, Gnome 3 + extensions are a great way to seriously customize your personal desktop.

Ubuntu with Unity = dictator telling you what your desktop experience will be.

Gnome 3 = freedom to choose.

I'll stick with Gnome 3 thank you.
eightup1

Post by eightup1 »

BlueSky77 wrote:
How Does Gnome 3 equal freedom ? I choose to NOT have my OS pop up in my face and steal focus all the time . i choose to Not have ANY side bar of any kind EVER, I choose to not have to install 40 scripts written by third party vendors just to make my OS usable .... How do you do that with Gnome 3 . i agree it's an ok to look at UI but it makes you work harder to do anything.
Olhado
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Olhado »

I can't install shell extensions via Firefox :x The "about" section tells me to "check to make sure that the 'GNOME Shell Integration' plugin is installed and enabled in your browser preferences" and lo and behold, the plugin isn't there. How do I install it?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

eightup1 wrote:i agree it's an ok to look at UI but it makes you work harder to do anything.
Doesn't feel that way to me, but everybody's different, I guess.
veggen

Post by veggen »

eightup1 wrote:
BlueSky77 wrote:
How Does Gnome 3 equal freedom ? I choose to NOT have my OS pop up in my face and steal focus all the time . i choose to Not have ANY side bar of any kind EVER, I choose to not have to install 40 scripts written by third party vendors just to make my OS usable .... How do you do that with Gnome 3 . i agree it's an ok to look at UI but it makes you work harder to do anything.
You should most definitely take a look at Cinnamon. It's Gnome 3 but normal. I'm using it exclusively and am quite happy with it (and I'm as hard-core Gnome 2 fan as you'll ever find).
veggen

Post by veggen »

eightup1 wrote: How Does Gnome 3 equal freedom ? I choose to NOT have my OS pop up in my face and steal focus all the time . i choose to Not have ANY side bar of any kind EVER, I choose to not have to install 40 scripts written by third party vendors just to make my OS usable .... How do you do that with Gnome 3 . i agree it's an ok to look at UI but it makes you work harder to do anything.
You should most definitely take a look at Cinnamon. It's Gnome 3 but normal. I'm using it exclusively and am quite happy with it (and I'm as hard-core Gnome 2 fan as you'll ever find). Sure, it's still very young, has it's own set of problems, but man, is it sweet :)

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”