Cinnamon Themes

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lurkatron

Re: Cinnamon Themes

Post by lurkatron »

how does one reload cinnamon themes? im editing one to suit my needs and if i switch themes back and forth in cinnamon-settings the desktop freezes after a handful of theme changes
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Do an "Alt+F2+r" once in a while. Never experienced a freeze myself, though, unlike in Gnome Shell where a shell reset gives you 50% chance of a freeze/metacity crash.
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

oddly alt+f2 doesent work...
edit: it was missing from the keyboard settings, fixed

dont know if this is the right place to ask but what in cinnamon.css defines the size of shortcut icons in the upper panel?
id like them a bit larger and a bit more space between them, see screenshot http://i.imgur.com/OJywj.png
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

I repaired Eleganse, dark-glass and ElementaryOS themes for Cinnamon 1.2. If anyone notices any problems, post it here. Frost theme also repaired today.
Last edited by Daniel4lm on Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

hi
im using minty
a modified minty that is, ive obviously done this myself but i cant figure out exactly what
psych

Post by psych »

Daniel4lm wrote:I repaired Eleganse, dark-glass and ElementaryOS themes for Cinnamon 1.2. If anyone notices any problems, post it here. Frost theme also repaired today.
Dark Glass and ElementaryOS themes in Git Hub were already working properly for me. I'm not sure if fixes were uploaded to there already/first. I'll test out Eleganse shortly. Thanks!
gfreeau

Post by gfreeau »

With the Eleganse and Dark Glass themes, I noticed the panel fonts were not as nice as Elementary or Minty. Edit cinnamon/cinnamon.css and add the ubuntu font to the font-family to change it.

Like this:

Code: Select all

stage {
    font-family: ubuntu, cantarell, sans-serif
}
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

gfreeau wrote:With the Eleganse and Dark Glass themes, I noticed the panel fonts were not as nice as Elementary or Minty. Edit cinnamon/cinnamon.css and add the ubuntu font to the font-family to change it.

Like this:

Code: Select all

stage {
    font-family: ubuntu, cantarell, sans-serif
}
Thank, I will upload this change. Bytheway - Aero Cinnamon themes
shams

Post by shams »

Daniel4lm wrote:Cinnamon themes are fixed.
How to install cinnamon themes?
Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

shams wrote:How to install cinnamon themes?
Some can be installed as DEB packages (which is always the best way) adding merlwiz79 repository.

For all others you just unpack them in the .themes folder in your home directory; you'll have to check the site again yourself to know if they've been updated, though.

Rehdon
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

shams wrote: How to install cinnamon themes?
Download the theme(s) you want
Right-click and choose "Extract Here"
Copy the extracted file to ~/.themes
Go to Menu>Preferences>CinnamonSettings>Themes and select the one you want to use
It will take effect immediately
shams

Post by shams »

Thank you Rehdon & Oscar799 :)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I tried to post this to the cinnamon blog site but seem to be having a problem getting it on there....

I was wondering if future versions of Cinnamon will have a number of the popular desktop appearance themes added into Cinnamon Settings as a default (much in the same way as we have a bunch of desktop wallpapers included in each edition of mint)....

And also, if there will be a simpler way to add new desktop appearance themes to our Cinnamon Settings....
I find this whole thing about downloading zip files and extracting to a themes folder a bit confusing...and i have been using linux for several years (lol)....a newbie would be completely baffled...

I never extracted a zip file and i wouldn't know how the heck to find the themes folder :lol:
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

craig10x wrote: I never extracted a zip file and i wouldn't know how the heck to find the themes folder :lol:
:?: :?: :?: :?: Simply, open the home folder, press the key combination Ctrl+H to display hidden files and find .themes folder.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks for the tip :wink:
woodsmoke

Post by woodsmoke »

Using an Nvidia 8600 card, Elementary has always rendered the menu correctly, but Eleganse and Dark Glass have not. I have done all the updates.

woodsmoke
Daniel4lm

Post by Daniel4lm »

woodsmoke wrote:Using an Nvidia 8600 card, Elementary has always rendered the menu correctly, but Eleganse and Dark Glass have not. I have done all the updates.

woodsmoke
Which driver for the graphic you use(noueau or proprietary)? I have a GeForce 9400GT and I have no problem with the proprietary drivers. What exactly the problem you have?
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

Oscar799 wrote:
shams wrote: How to install cinnamon themes?
Download the theme(s) you want
Right-click and choose "Extract Here"
Copy the extracted file to ~/.themes
Go to Menu>Preferences>CinnamonSettings>Themes and select the one you want to use
It will take effect immediately
For clarification, Cinnamon themes should go into '~/.themes' and not '/usr/share/themes'?

I haven't yet got to use Cinnamon because some weird hardware combination on my test computer renders the Menu unreadable, so I am unable to test this myself. Just collecting info and chomping at the bit to use it :wink: ...

Thanks for any feedback.

Hawkeye
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

For clarification, Cinnamon themes should go into '~/.themes' and not '/usr/share/themes'?
Not sure if Cinnamon Settings would find them in usr/share/themes but there would be no harm in putting them in both that and ~/.themes
mordant23

Post by mordant23 »

Hawkeye_52 wrote:
Oscar799 wrote:
shams wrote: For clarification, Cinnamon themes should go into '~/.themes' and not '/usr/share/themes'?
It's your choice. If you want every user (including root and guest) to use the theme, extract to /usr/share/themes. If you want only one user to use the theme, extract to ~/.themes. Cinnamon recognizes both locations.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”