compiz breaks window borders in Mint 13

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

compiz breaks window borders in Mint 13

Postby hurinth on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:43 am

Hello, I tried this post to enable Compiz in Maya Mate 64bit with nVidia drivers enabled:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919

When I start compiz (compiz --replace from terminal or Startup Apps) then my windows have no borders! But the real problem is that even if I click on the Window Decoration applet within the CCSM control panel, nothing happens. And each time I log into my desk and launch CCSM, no settings are retained from last time I selected them! Its like the CCSM is empty on the back, although I have installed all the compiz-XXXXX packages with the plugins.

Anybody has an idea why is this?

Thanks
hurinth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: compiz breaks window borders in Mint 13

Postby Oscar799 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:05 am

Split from another topic and moved here - please don't tack new questions onto the end of threads
"Don't fix it if it ain't broken,don't break it if you can't fix it" Husse
Registered Linux User #511789
Oscar799
Level 18
Level 18

Postby gooby.pls on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:37 am

hurinth wrote:Hello, I tried this post to enable Compiz in Maya Mate 64bit with nVidia drivers enabled:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919

When I start compiz (compiz --replace from terminal or Startup Apps) then my windows have no borders! But the real problem is that even if I click on the Window Decoration applet within the CCSM control panel, nothing happens. And each time I log into my desk and launch CCSM, no settings are retained from last time I selected them! Its like the CCSM is empty on the back, although I have installed all the compiz-XXXXX packages with the plugins.

Anybody has an idea why is this?

Thanks

I had a lot of problems with this. In the end, it seems that replacing marco with compiz in mateconf editor had nothing to do with it. My settings are as follows:
In compiz settings, under window decoration, it says "/usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator"
in mateconf, desktop>mate>session>required_components under windowmanager it says "marco"

And it works when i do compiz --replace.
But you can't change themes like you normally would, you have to go into mateconf editor and change it there. ( apps>marco>general>theme, type the name)
gooby.pls
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hurinth on Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Thank you for replying mate. My CCSM Window Decoration also says /usr/bin/compiz-decorator.

The problem I here is that nothing I check in CCSM will take effect. compiz --replace will only trigger part of the changes, its like the plugins within CCSM are being ignored, therefore I don't have window borders. What could be causing that? Any parameter that I might have to enable? Drivers?
hurinth
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Compiz, Conky, Docks, & Widgets