Conky install . . . ??

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vrkalak

Conky install . . . ??

Post by vrkalak »

Conky . . . ?? I have downloaded and installed Conky from the repositories. No problems.
If I open Ternimal and type in 'conky' a generic Conky window will open and refresh every so often.
It's nice but how do I make it stay? And open on Start-up? Add widgets to it?

I have checked and read hundreds of Conky links and topics in Ubuntu Forums, LinuxMint Forums, LinuxQuestions, LinuxNewbies and Conky.org and conky.sourceforge.net and a few others.

In the Ubuntu Forums there were lots of replies: 115 pages about Conky.
Just got Conky, having read various pages here ... have done nothing with it.
I am surprised at some of the things I seen here.

I also have the, ConkyFAQ, ConkyHowTo, ConkySettings and the ConkyVariables, but they all look like a programmers guide to a migraine headache for me.

Go checkout this file: http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html And, this makes sense to me ... because?
I have opened links that have a whole page of programmers writing ... and where am I supposed to put this stuff?
I don't know how to Open a directory or file that has conky in it. I've looked. How am I supposed to 'make conkyrc/config'?

It all makes my sense to me. I just want to add conky and have it work on my desktop.
There must be a link or Forum, that has conky stuff/config written in simple english for us Linux n00bies, that are intimidated by terminal and directories within?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
terrorblader

Re: Conky intall . . . ??

Post by terrorblader »

Open a text editor, paste :

Code: Select all

background yes
font Zero Threes:size=8
xftfont Zero Threes:size=8
use_xft yes
xftalpha 0.1
update_interval 1.0
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_type override
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
draw_shades yes
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
minimum_size 206 5
maximum_width 206
default_color 5E78FC
default_shade_color 000000
default_outline_color 000000
alignment top_right
gap_x 6
gap_y 22
no_buffers yes
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no
uppercase no # set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase
use_spacer no

TEXT

${font Aerial:style=Bold:pixelsize=10}SYSTEM${font Zero Threes:size=8} ${hr 1 }

Hostname: $alignr$nodename
Kernel: $alignr$kernel
Uptime: $alignr$uptime
Processes: ${alignr}$processes ($running_processes running)
Load: ${alignr}$loadavg

CPU       ${alignc} ${freq}MHz / ${acpitemp}C ${alignr}(${cpu cpu1}%)
${cpubar 4 cpu1}
${cpugraph cccccc 5E78FC}

RAM ${alignr}$mem / $memmax ($memperc%)
${membar 4}

${font Zero Threes:pixelsize=30}${alignc}${time %H:%M}${font Zero Threes:size=8}

SWAP ${alignr}$swap / $swapmax ($swapperc%)
${swapbar 4}

Highest CPU $alignr CPU% MEM%
${hr 1}
${top name 1}$alignr${top cpu 1}${top mem 1}
${top name 2}$alignr${top cpu 2}${top mem 2}
${top name 3}$alignr${top cpu 3}${top mem 3}

Highest MEM $alignr CPU% MEM%
${hr 1}
${top_mem name 1}$alignr${top_mem cpu 1}${top_mem mem 1}
${top_mem name 2}$alignr${top_mem cpu 2}${top_mem mem 2}
${top_mem name 3}$alignr${top_mem cpu 3}${top_mem mem 3}

${font Aerial:style=Bold:pixelsize=12}FILESYSTEM ${font Zero Threes:size=8}${hr 1}

Root: ${alignr}${fs_free /} / ${fs_size /}
${fs_bar 4 /}

Home: ${alignr}${fs_free /home} / ${fs_size /home}
${fs_bar 4 /home}

${font Aerial:style=Bold:pixelsize=12}NETWORK ${font Zero Threes:size=8}${hr 1}

Down ${downspeed eth0} k/s ${alignr}Up ${upspeed eth0} k/s
${downspeedgraph eth0 25,107 cccccc 5E78FC} ${alignr}${upspeedgraph eth0 25,107 cccccc 5E78FC}
Total ${totaldown eth0} ${alignr}Total ${totalup eth0}

and save the file as.conkyrc in your home folder (this is my configuration for conky).
And to start it when u boot , add conky in start-up (from control center).
vrkalak

Re: Conky install . . . ??

Post by vrkalak »

Awesome!! It works.

Thanks terrorblader . . . you're the first one in all those posts that to tell me what to do with the' config' info. I guess everyone just assumes I would know?

I like you Conky layout. I'll leave most everything as it is.
I should be able to go back into the saved file in text editor and change the font colour
Does it use the Hexidecimal Color Codes? And maybe the position on the desktop.

And it, also, did not start on re-start. I double checked it after to see if it was added to the Start-Up Menu.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

To start it when you boot you'll have to add it as a custom command to the startup applications menu.

Conky is meant to be a vey lightweight sysmonitor, meaning no gui's for it at all.
Blackwolf*

Post by Blackwolf* »

optimize me

Post by optimize me »

Tons of conky info here --> http://conky.linux-hardcore.com/

How-to's, tips, tricks, scripts.. Multilinugual..
Sanjima

Post by Sanjima »

vrkalak wrote:Does it use the Hexidecimal Color Codes?
Yes, just use ${color FFFFFF} for example. Put the color code before everything that you want to be that color, but remember that if you don't specify another color later, everything there-on will be that same color.
vrkalak wrote:And maybe the position on the desktop.
The position on the desktop can be set by editing these three lines of code:

alignment top_right
gap_x 12
gap_y 42

The gap x and y is the space from the side and top of the screen respectively in pixels. So in this case, the alignment would be 12 pixels from the right of the screen and 42 from the top.
vrkalak wrote:And it, also, did not start on re-start. I double checked it after to see if it was added to the Start-Up Menu.
I have this same problem :< I'm not sure exactly how to add Conky to my startup applications.

Also, if you'd like you can try my conky config to see how you like it.

background yes
use_xft yes
xftfont Sans:size=8
xftalpha 1
update_interval 1.0
total_run_times 0
own_window no
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type desktop
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
minimum_size 200 200
maximum_width 200
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
default_color white
default_shade_color black
default_outline_color white
alignment top_right
gap_x 12
gap_y 42
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no

TEXT
${color FFFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}SYSTEM ${color 8888FF}${hr 2}
${color gray}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}$sysname $kernel $alignr ${color 90DDC0}$machine
${color gray}Host:${color 90DDC0}$alignr$nodename
${color gray}Uptime:${color 90DDC0}$alignr$uptime_short
${color gray}File System: ${color 90DDC0}$alignr${fs_type}
${color gray}Load: ${color 90DDC0}${alignr}${loadavg 1}, ${loadavg 2}, ${loadavg 3}

${color FFFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}PROCESSORS ${color 8888FF}${hr 2}
${color 000000}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}${cpugraph 000000 80E0A0}
${color gray}CPU 1: ${color 90DDC0}${cpu cpu1}%${alignr}${color gray}CPU 2: ${color 90DDC0}${cpu cpu2}%
${color 80E0A0}${cpubar cpu1 7,95}${offset 10}${color 80E0A0}${cpubar cpu2 7,95}

${color FFFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}MEMORY ${color 8888FF}${hr 2}
${color 90DDC0}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}RAM ${color gray}$alignc $mem / $memmax ${color FFFFFF}$alignr $memperc%
${color 80E0A0}$membar

${color FFFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}DISKS ${color 8888FF}${hr 2}
${color 90DDC0}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}FileSystem: ${color gray}$alignc ${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /} ${color white}$alignr ${fs_used_perc /}%
${color 80E0A0}${fs_bar /}

${color FFFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}TOP PROCESSES ${color 8888FF}${hr 2}
${color gray}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}${top_mem name 1}${color 90DDC0}${alignr}${top mem 1} %
${color gray}${top_mem name 2}${color 90DDC0}${alignr}${top mem 2} %
${color gray}$font${top_mem name 3}${color 90DDC0}${alignr}${top mem 3} %
${color gray}$font${top_mem name 4}${color 90DDC0}${alignr}${top mem 4} %
${color gray}$font${top_mem name 5}${color 90DDC0}${alignr}${top mem 5} %

${color FFFFFF}${font sans-serif:bold:size=8}NETWORK ${color 8888FF}${hr 2}
${color gray}${font sans-serif:normal:size=8}IP address: ${color 90DDC0}$alignr ${addr eth0}
${color gray}Download:${color 90DDC0}${downspeedf eth0} kB/s${alignr}${color gray}Upload:${color 90DDC0}${upspeedf eth0} kB/s
${color 001000}${downspeedgraph eth0 26,95 000000 80E0A0}${offset 10}${color 001000}${upspeedgraph eth0 26,95 000000 80E0A0}
Sanjima

Post by Sanjima »

Sanjima wrote:
vrkalak wrote:And it, also, did not start on re-start. I double checked it after to see if it was added to the Start-Up Menu.
I have this same problem :< I'm not sure exactly how to add Conky to my startup applications.
I found out finally how make Conky start at boot. =D

Open a text editor, and paste this code into it:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 10 &&
conky -d
exit
Save it with an obvious name like "conky_startup_script" and save it as .sh

Right click the new file and go to properties, then under the Permissions tab, make it executable.

Then simply add the file to the startup applications from the control center. =D Works like a charm.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Sanjima wrote:
Sanjima wrote:
I found out finally how make Conky start at boot. =D

Open a text editor, and paste this code into it:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 10 &&
conky -d
exit
Save it with an obvious name like "conky_startup_script" and save it as .sh

Right click the new file and go to properties, then under the Permissions tab, make it executable.

Then simply add the file to the startup applications from the control center. =D Works like a charm.
To add to that, if you're running Compiz then you might encounter problems with Conky as it'll load before Compiz does meaning that Conky will sit on top of the desktop hiding any windows that overlap it, to overcome this you should set the sleep to something like 30/40 seconds which will let Compiz load first.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

gibbs1984 wrote:To add to that, if you're running Compiz then you might encounter problems with Conky as it'll load before Compiz does meaning that Conky will sit on top of the desktop hiding any windows that overlap it, to overcome this you should set the sleep to something like 30/40 seconds which will let Compiz load first.
30 to 40 seconds isn't necessary. I get by with 10. Anything between 10 and 20 should be fine for most people using Compiz on top of Gnome.
Sanjima

Post by Sanjima »

optimize me wrote:
gibbs1984 wrote:To add to that, if you're running Compiz then you might encounter problems with Conky as it'll load before Compiz does meaning that Conky will sit on top of the desktop hiding any windows that overlap it, to overcome this you should set the sleep to something like 30/40 seconds which will let Compiz load first.
30 to 40 seconds isn't necessary. I get by with 10. Anything between 10 and 20 should be fine for most people using Compiz on top of Gnome.
~nodnod~ I'm running Compiz and it starts just fine with 10 seconds sleep. I could actually afford as little as 5 and still usually work right, but 10 seconds is fail-proof. ^^

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”