Conky startup issue

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Heathen

Conky startup issue

Post by Heathen »

Hi, all. Brand new here. Been wanting to go to Linux off and on for years now, and Mint 9 is finally a release that I can sink my teeth into and learn from. I learned a little Unix and C way back a couple of decades ago, so learning command line stuff isn't beyond me, but I do have to re-learn pretty much from scratch. I've run into a couple of things I'd like to ask you folks about, though.

Conky issues on startup.

I'm using two instances of conky with different information in each, one on each of two monitors. I have added to items to my "startup applications" to begin these when I log in:

Code: Select all

conky -c ~/.conky/.conkyrc1
and

conky -c ~/.conky/.conkyrc2
It worked fine for about a week, then suddenly it wasn't--now it runs only my default conky configuration (which, to keep myself from getting confused, I'd changed to simply display "this is not your current conky setup").

Each time, I open the terminal, give

killall conky
and give the commands as I've written them above, one at a time, and then it runs fine.

Does anyone have an idea of what I'm doing wrong, and why it worked fine for a while and now doesn't?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

-Heathen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Heathen

Re: Conky startup issue

Post by Heathen »

What, nobody's got help for me?
colyn

Post by colyn »

You should post your question on this thread. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=30209

When you do be sure to post both .conkyrc files so people can help.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Judging from your initial post, what I surmise is you may have to write a short shell script and put a delay at the beginning before you load up your conkys. The delay will give the desktop enough time to "settle down." Then add the script to your startup. It goes without saying, the script should have the execute bit turned on. The 15-second delay is arbitrary, you could use a shorter (or longer) delay, if you want, depending on how long it takes before the desktop settles down before it can be usable.

For example: heathen-conky.sh

#!/bin/sh
sleep 15
conky -c ~/.conky/.conkyrc1
conky -c ~/.conky/.conkyrc2
#eof

HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

Thanks for the script, but yeah, I already tried that.

And posting my rc files won't make any difference, as they aren't being loaded. My commands in the startup apps to get it to run would make a difference, but not the rc's.

But yeah, I'll check out that thread.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”