Mint 11 Compiz not working

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ESM

Mint 11 Compiz not working

Post by ESM »

As asked for by Paul in the other thread:

In Mint11 RC Compiz doesn't work as it should, it destroys the windows functions.

My card with which it happens: Graphics: Card nVidia G92 [GeForce GT 230] X.Org 1.10.1 Res: 1920x1080@50.0hz GLX Renderer GeForce GT 230/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 270.41.06

And that happens with both given options in extra drivers programm.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint 11 Compiz not working

Post by AlbertP »

This may be caused by some Compiz plugin which doesn't work well on this graphics card. Please disable all effects/plugins in CompizConfig and then try again (and remember which ones were turned on). After doing this, enable one effect at a time and look if it still works OK. This way, you will find which effect is causing the windows to be destroyed.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ESM

Post by ESM »

Well, that was easy...but with NO option at all on I still have problems with broken windows, with no X for instance.
Rudemeister

Post by Rudemeister »

I have an Nvidia 9400GT based graphics card and I have the same problems with Compiz. My window system gets messed up.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If it happens with both options in the Additional Drivers (NVidia 270 and Experimental) I think there's something wrong with your card.
ESM

Post by ESM »

Nope, nothing wrong with the card. On other sites is already the news that the Compiz guys are looking for solutions to all the problems that a lot of people have. I have tested some things and can say that it goes wrong in Mint as soon as the Compiz-plugins-extra are used from Synaptic. In all other situations things go good.

And another thing that makes things go wrong are the latest Nvidia drivers, according to the new on other sites. Those drivers give loads of problems to people. Waiting for a better driver :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

NVidia has always been causing problems. Earlier drivers had problems with suspending, the drivers of last year had problems with installing (and removing) at much people (including me). I haven't yet tried the 27x drivers, but it looks like they still aren't bug-free.
gerinho

Post by gerinho »

Well, I have an ATI Radeon 2400HD on one of my laptops, and got all windows functions destroyed by Compiz

Greetings
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

This is a Compiz problem not a video card issue.
Try running "gtkperf" when using compiz and see how flaky the graphics are.
Ive enabled compiz on 3 different systems with 3 different graphics cards and the problem is the same.
For a temporary workaround switch from compiz to metacity and enable compositing.
You will lose your effects, but your system runs much smoother.
ESM

Post by ESM »

I already said in my posting that it had nothing to do with the videocard. And Compiz is busy with it so they stated.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Hmm, I am also experiencing a strange problem: 3 grey pixels on each side of a maximized window, except the top. But that may also be a Mint 11 bug.

My card is an NV86 / GeForce 8400M GS running Nouveau 3D.
ESM

Post by ESM »

I don't have that, so I do not think that it is Mint.
tomdiana

Post by tomdiana »

I installed Mint 11 today and as soon as I started using compiz I had the same problems. After a few hours I removed compiz and my windows stoped crashing (I was unable to move, resize, or close windows and the icons disappeared). I have an MSI RX2600XT Diamond Plus Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit Video Card. I assume this is a Compiz bug.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I have found the issue.

The 'Window Decorator' effect seems to be turned off suddenly. With this one turned on in Compiz, everything's back to normal working.
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

Downgrading compiz will solve your problem check my post:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=73456
Last edited by Pranaone on Sun May 29, 2011 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can edit your post if there's something wrong. No need to make a new post.

By the way, my solution is much easier.
Open CompizConfig.
Look for 'Window Decorator'. If it is turned off, turn it on. If it's already on, turn it off and on again.
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

Sorry for double posting, I usually post through a mobile device. By the way I agree that your method is easier,but the latest compiz itself is unstable and buggy and many plugins don't work properly as the used to,thats why i suggested that we downgrade to stable version and be on the safe side.
myrjon1

Post by myrjon1 »

had same problem follow these steps then reinstall compiz. brings back to compiz i know and liked .this info I found earlier and saved . hope it helps you .these terminal codes delete all compiz . last one i got a error but after i was done i went to software manager and basically installed simple compiz plus some others click witch you like kde.....

HOW TO DOWNGRADE TO COMPIZ 0.8.6 IN LINUXMINT 11

Postby Pranaone on Thu May 26, 2011 11:06 am
You've probably noticed that not all Compiz plugins work as they used to in Linuxmint 10 and changing some of the
default Compiz settings results in quite a few bugs. This can be solved by downgrading Compiz to version 0.8.6.
Warning: the instructions
below are for the classic Ubuntu desktop but it does apply to linuxmint. Further
more, this is experimental (and reverting the changes is a bit complicated and may not work exactly as described in this post) so use it at your own risk!
1.In the terminal run the following commands to purge Compiz:

Code: Select all
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
sudo apt-get purge compiz compiz-plugins-extra compiz-plugins-main
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

2.Purge the CompizConfig Settings Manager too:

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
sudo apt-get purge compizconfig-settings-manager
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

3.Add Giodic's PPA and install Compiz

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:guido-iodice/compiz-0.8.6-natty
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-f
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Last edited by Pranaone on Thu May 26, 2011 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
:D
soren_dk

Post by soren_dk »

I got my windows decorations back by: CompizSettings -> Preferences -> Profile (changed from Unity to Default)

..but it disappeared again as soon as I turned on Desktop wall (with OpenGL, Composite etc)

I have a hunch this has to do with OpenGL

If i run glxgears - my desktop crashes.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”