Compiz has no effect at all :o/

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Compiz has no effect at all :o/

Post by nathanjh13 »

Hi there, sorry about this but I can't get Compiz to make any difference at all, none of the settings have any effect, it's like it's not installed.

Is there a simple "switch" somewhere that I've overlooked. I've enabled boxes, disabled others, I've tried everything.

I'd love to have some desktop eye candy but I'm clearly barking up the wrong tree at the moment.

Thanks for any assistance, I'm using Mint11
Nathan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Compiz has no effect at all :o/

Post by xenopeek »

You need to check if your hardware even supports Compiz. Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

xdpyinfo | grep -i composite
This should return " Composite". Then run:

glxinfo | grep -i direct
This should return "direct rendering: Yes".

If all that has the expected output, something is wrong with your Compuz configuration. Suggest you return it to post installation default:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz
You may also consider reinstalling it through the Package Manager (Synaptic). Search for "compiz", right-click the package and select mark for reinstallation, then click the apply button on the toolbar.

If all didn't have the expected output, your hardware either doesn't support 3D or you are using the wrong drivers for it. Suggest you run:

inxi -G
And post the output here.
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

Another thing to check is if you have Compiz set as your windows manager. If it isn't already installed, add fusion-icon found in Synaptic. It will be in the System Tools menu after install if you are using LM 10. If you are using LM 11, check your Administration and/or Preferences menus if it's not in the System Tools menu.
Necrodust

Post by Necrodust »

The reason also may be that the graphic card driver is installed not properly. If you have installed it using standard system utilities, you can try to remove it and download one from the official site of the manufacturer.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Many thanks. I've finally gotten around to checking. All the diagnostics you mentioned came up favourable. but for reference here is the readout:

Graphics: Card Intel System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller X.Org 1.10.1 Res: 1024x768@61.0hz
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

I re-ran the settings manager (after setting it back to the defaults as described above), I then played it nice and simple and ticked off wobbly windows then back on, no wobbly windows etc

I'll try a re-install but thanks again for the replies.
Nath

EDIT: It never lets me install simple-ccsm either, in package manager I get:

simple-ccsm:
Depends: python-compizconfig but it is not going to be installed
Depends: compizconfig-settings-manager but it is not going to be installed

and in software manager it wont even bring up the preview window (or allow a right click) when it appears in the search.

Not sure how relevant this is.
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

The "Indirect rendering" option isn't available actually. On another machine I tried Compiz with this option enabled and everything worked fine.

I'm using an Acer Aspire one.

Graphics: Card Intel System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller X.Org 1.10.1 Res: 1024x768@61.0hz
GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

When I ran "glxinfo | grep -i direct" it returned direct rendering - yes.

I've learned that there's something to do with enabling it in a device manager, but I can't even fine my device manager settings. I'm that new/stupid.

Many thanks for any help :o)
Nath
nathanjh13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nathanjh13 »

Movies are slow too, they "flicker"

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”