Set compiz desktop size to 2

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Endogen

Set compiz desktop size to 2

Post by Endogen »

Hi all,

i have a strange problem: in compiz, in "general settings" i can change the desktop-size. Now i would like to set it to 2. But that doesnt work! It always switches back to 4. I can set it to 1,3 or 4 or anything else but NOT to 2! I havent activated the desktop cube so why it that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Endogen

Re: Set compiz desktop size to 2

Post by Endogen »

Is it really possible that no one knows why i cant set compiz desktop size to 2??
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

On every desktop OS I use, I always turn off effects, even if they might be handled by the graphics card I use, that is simply my preference (avoiding clutter, eye candied effects), while I use the desktop for applications or work..

http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/04/12-t ... g-new.html
  • Now to tweak Compiz desktop effects in Ubuntu, you need to install "compizconfig-settings-manager" package. Click Here OR simply copy paste the following command into Terminal to install "compizconfig-settings-manager".
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Done. Compiz Config Settings Manager(CCSM) is significant as far as Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal is concerned. We will get to that later on
--see compiz setting options, that might help, assuming you can use it in Mint, check these forums: search for a better explanation..
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=846693
post 6..and previous.

Since I don't use compiz (turn it completely off as possible), I can't say about definitions, but you should be absolutely clear in your mind what you mean by desktop/virtual, viewports etc..
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/153322
  • There is confusion between "Virtual desktops" and "Viewports" in Compiz. Both use the workspace switcher applet, which behaves differently depending on the settings.
    Virtual desktop and viewports can be set in the Compiz settings menu under General options, Desktop size. When "Number of desktops" is set to 1, the workspace switcher applet shows the number of viewports.
Endogen

Post by Endogen »

I have installed CCSM and i am not using a proprietary driver.
In Compiz under general options, "number of desktops" is set to 1, thats fine. But the "horizontal virtual size" can only be 1,3,4,... But i want it to be 2 :) "vertical virtual size" is set to 1. I hope that i translated it right. In german the option i want to change to 2 is the first one "Virtuelle horizontale Größe".

Thanks for clarification!
przemnet

Post by przemnet »

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem! In Compiz Config Settings Manager in section "General Settings" I can not set the horizontal number of desktops to 2. As Endogen wrote, size can be set to 1, 3 or 4, but not to 2!

In my case, vertical size is also 2. I just want to have 4 virtual desktops- vertical size equal 2 and horizontal size also equal 2.

Is it possible that there is a conflict with some other settings for desktop? Where else can you set the desktop size (maybe some compiz configuration files)?

Or maybe this is a software bug?

@Endogen- did you solve the problem somehow?

Looking forward,
Przemek.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”