Compiz 0.8.6 + Gnome + Dual Monitors - Odd vertical bar

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
culmor30

Compiz 0.8.6 + Gnome + Dual Monitors - Odd vertical bar

Post by culmor30 »

Hey! I just recently switched to this distro, and I'm loving it! One problem I had was that Compiz 0.9.whateverCameWithThis is a really buggy mess, so I followed some instructions to downgrade to 0.8.6. It's running beautifully, except for one issue that I haven't been able to iron out on my own...

Along the right side of my main monitor is this vertical, gray-gradient bar. I'd guess that it's only about 4px wide, but it really stands out when I spin my desktop cube or have a dark window open full-screen. Also, any click within this region is dropped. Only the mouse is drawn over the region; any other application gets drawn beneath it. I cannot draw a selection box on my desktop if I start holding the mouse button when the cursor is in this region. Here's a very enlarged screenshot of my clock and this bar, against a black background for visibility:

This screenshot does not border my external monitor, it is here (large image): http://i.imgur.com/JWzb3.jpg

I've disabled all of the compiz plugins one by one, and none of them seem to have an effect.

Some info on my system:
Studio XPS 1645 Laptop with external monitor plugged in, positioned to the left of the main monitor with proprietary ATi driver.
Radeon HD 4670, 1GB vram; Core i7 3.2GHz; 6GB system RAM
Running Linux Mint x64, mostly stock as of now (except the downgraded compiz, as I mentioned).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much!

edit: Alright. I just tested it with the external monitor disconnected, and removing the extra monitor takes care of the issue. I do enjoy my other monitor though (as this laptop usually just sits on my desk).

Funny thing: If I open the Catalyst Control Center (with sudo amdcccle), a message dialog will pop up (if I have changed my monitor configuration) that says something along the lines of "We have configured your desktops for you, click apply to change to our settings." If I do this, the bar on the right will disappear, but my main (right) monitor's image will be moved slightly to the right and about four pixels in a vertical bar on the left side of the picture will be filled with the rightmost four(or so) pixels from the external monitor (mirrored, not overlapping). For instance, I can see part of the scroll bar of this Firefox window (on my external) on the left side of my main monitor (and the empty space that results from the external's smaller resolution is filled with garbage pixels displaying random colors).

edit: A picture of the AMD driver's prompt mentioned above:

Completely lost on this one.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”