ccsm=compiz in lisa

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
myrjon1

ccsm=compiz in lisa

Post by myrjon1 »

cannot get ccsm =COMPIZ to work animations is blank in ccsm manager tryed everything
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ankspo71

Re: ccsm=compiz in lisa

Post by ankspo71 »

Hi,
Sorry if this isn't the answer you were looking for but...
By default, Lisa is using Gnome-Shell (with Mate) for a desktop and Gnome-Shell isn't compatible with compiz. It relies on Mutter (window manager) and Clutter (compositing and effects) instead. So unless we install a second desktop such as XFCE, we won't be able to use compiz.

If you are already using a different desktop, then press Alt + F2 and run the command "compiz --replace" to test compiz. If it works you can then configure your desktop to have compiz automatically run on start up. Installing fusion-icon is what some people prefer to do this, or you could create a script something to run automatically on startup.

I just had a second look and I noticed that some of the plugins for compiz are not installed by default either, so you might need to install them too.

Edit: It appears that the Mate session is compatible with compiz.
Last edited by ankspo71 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myrjon1

Post by myrjon1 »

used compiz --replace made compiz work /made a start up . then i could not shut off .. killed everything on desktop its blank reinstall time
ankspo71

Post by ankspo71 »

Hi,
Before you try to reinstall Mint, you can boot into the Live CD and use it to remove the script you created on the hard drive.
This would be the easiest way. You will need to use the file manager to navigate to the hard drive on the left side under "Devices",
then you can go to your home folder on the hard drive /home/myrjon1

Or, if you are familiar with using commands the terminal, you can start your computer as usual,
then press Ctrl + Alt + F1 to use a command-only work environment.
blueXrider

Post by blueXrider »

ankspo71 wrote:Hi,
If you are already using a different desktop, then press Alt + F2 and run the command "compiz --replace" to test compiz. If it works you can then configure your desktop to have compiz automatically run on start up. Installing fusion-icon is what some people prefer to do this, or you could create a script something to run automatically on startup.
If you have used compiz in the past it is possible to use it with MATE.
1. Confirm it works using the method above.
2. You need to download the Compiz Configuration Manager and Extras plugins with Synaptic.
3. Make a startup application and use "compiz --replace" command
4. Once installed and configured LOG OUT AND BACK IN.

Worked for me.

I also used the Configurations Editor and reset some values to get the maximum effects
jayromeo

Post by jayromeo »

so will Compiz work or not Mate Gnome-shell?
I can get compiz working but the sweetness of the top and bottom panels is gone.
Getting this to work would be nice; also not really a fan of KDE or Xfce anymore these days.
Please don't send me back to using Fluxbox ;)

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”