compiz on Dell D630

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

compiz on Dell D630

Postby mintberrycrunch on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi everyone. Am attempting to get into linux again, this time with Mint. I know how to install the new OS and have everything installed. What I want to work on right now is compiz with the intel gma graphics. They say it only works with 3d graphics, but I did attempt to get the cube and all the features running on my EEE PC 900HA, with integrated graphics, so Im assuming there has got to be a way, most likely with some type of command in terminal?

I have the system set to GNOME Classic. I have the option to play with Compiz configurations, but they do not do what they say, such as the Cube affect.

Any ideas?
mintberrycrunch
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: compiz on Dell D630

Postby richyrich on Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:13 pm

Are the extra compiz packages installed ? A quicksearch in the Package Manager may show something not installed yet.

http://wiki.compiz.org/Hardware/Intel
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Location: Pirating somewhere along the North Saskatchewan River, Canada

Re: compiz on Dell D630

Postby Reddog1 on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 pm

I couldn't get compiz to work, either. At least, until I installed cairo-dock. After installing cairo-dock, I rebooted, then from the dropdown menu chose "cairo dock (gnome+effects)" and compiz came up working (wobbly windows, etc). I don't think compiz integrates with Gnome 3 yet. Gnome 3 is a huge PITA trying to get things working, at least it is for me. Cairo is very "Apple-ish", and so far, for me, it has been the only thing that makes Mint12 tolerable. I haven't found anything that doesn't work, yet. Even MATE had a problem with VLC sound.
Reddog1
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Compiz, Conky, Docks, & Widgets