Changing Compiz Fusion settings does nothing

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stephenskocpol

Changing Compiz Fusion settings does nothing

Post by stephenskocpol »

Hello everyone,

I am going to try to keep this post short. If there's any nevesary info missing, please tell me!

I have a Lenovo laptop (Thinkpad Edge 15) with a dualcore Intel Celeron + Intel GMA 4500 HD graphics. I had been running LM11 for a couple of months until I upgraded to LM12. After a week or so I decided I liked LM11 more (I missed Gnome 2) and went back to it. Everything was okay.

Now today I was tinkering with compiz-fusion's many effects (in ccsm, I think is its name) just trying to do some tweaking. Instead of achieving anything I accidentally reset something and lost a couple of effects I liked. I tried setting them back - it took me a hell of a time to figure out which effects they were in the first place - but even when I changed the settings back to the way I wanted them to be, nothing happens. I've tried a couple of different things and no matter what I change, none of my effects get applied. No matter what I try. I've tried changing the configuration to the way I wanted it and rebooting. ccsm still contains the settings as I had set it up, but the effects don't show up in my window. This is very frustrating and I am at whit's end. Why doesn't anything happen?? I've even managed to turn off that snap/grid/whateveryoucallit effect which I use a lot, without turning it off in the settings. HELP!

Stephen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
stephenskocpol

Re: Changing Compiz Fusion settings does nothing

Post by stephenskocpol »

I think I may have found the problem.

Though at first compiz did work on my laptop, it has serious trouble and has reverted to Metacity, even though it says it's still running Compiz. The solution to this is to install and use Envy to install proprietary drivers. That should solve my troubles.

So I installed Envy and tried to run the graphical interface using the terminal. Here is what happens:

I type:

Code: Select all

sudo envy -g
The terminal output to this command is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/envy/gtkenvy.py", line 7, in <module>
    from Envy import objects
ImportError: No module named Envy
And Envy does not start up. If I start Envy from the Menu, it asks for my password and Envy begins starting up, it doesn't open any window, however...

In case it matters, here is the output of the inxi -Gx command:

Graphics:  Card Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org 1.10.1
Res: 1366x768@59.6hz 
According to Alberto Milone's website, this error has something to do with having installed an older version of Envy. If this is the case, however, I am unable to find the newest version of envy.

Can anyone help me find a version of Envy that will work on my Lenovo Edge 15 laptop with Linux Mint 11? Or can someone help me solve my problem with Envy not loading?

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”