Can't use compiz effects on mint 201109 on live USB

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dédale

Can't use compiz effects on mint 201109 on live USB

Post by Dédale »

Hello :) ,

I installed LMDE on a USB stick and i like it. I like a bit more GNOME 2 than GNOME 3 right now. By the way, i tried to use the USB startup disk maker that comes with my ubuntu 10.04 and it stubbornly refused to take my LMDE iso image. I tried also with the same application from a MINT 12 pendrive installation. I had to install the slightly less user friendly unetbootin to solve my problem. Is it because LMDE is debian and not ubuntu ?

Well, lets talk about my problem: i can't use my favourite compiz effects: the wobbly windows and the rotating cube. In fact i suspect it is not activated at all despite the presence of the compiz effects panel in the mint menu.

I have a netbook with an intel GMA 915 which should be used out of the box by the kernel, right ?

Also, except the fact that i will be able to use gnome 2, will be LMDE be more fast and lightweight than mint 12 ? I have an old netbook with a celeron @800mhz and 512 mo or RAM. I will need some programs like octave, povray, K3Dsurf, maxima and R in the near future. I don't want to stay on ubuntu because of unity and last time i checked KDE was Über slow on my netbook.

Thanks in advance for responding. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't use compiz effects on mint 201109

Post by M_aD »

It is impossible to make a live usb stick with buntu's startup disk creator since LMDE isn't based on buntu but on Debian and Debian is not, well, buntu. So yep, you were right already. Also the one in Mint 12 (which is buntu based) doesn't do that as you figured out already and unetbootin works like a charm. :)

Compiz does work but this works only when you did a actual installation and not in the live session from cd/dvd or usb stick:

Just go to Startup Applications, click add in Startup Programs and add the Name field Compiz, in the Command field you add compiz --replace and in Comment you can add Desktop Effects or leave it blank. Once done, restart the system.

You love Gnome 2 you say...? Well, afaik, with Update Pack 4 you have Gnome 3 and Cinnamon on LMDE too but no Gnome 2, it's just a matter of time but it's getting closer. Don't know if MATE will be in it though. Gnome 2 will be dead or say gone at some point so peeps need to get over it and move on to a modern DE.
Dédale

Re: Can't use compiz effects on mint 201109

Post by Dédale »

Aaaaah ! Already an answer ! And on a Sunday. Thank you this forum rocks ! :D

I tried to do what you told me on my USB installation and indeed it didn't work. But it didn't keep my other changes to the desktop so i guess unetbootin doesn't create persistent installations like the ubuntu tool. I bet i could install it one another USB stick but i am short of pendrives and since i am fine with my actual ubuntu 10.04 LTS i will stick with persistent live sessions. I will try the little pendrive on linux windows program as soon i can get my hands on a windows machine.

I like both gnome 2 and 3. 2 looks more mature and has my beloved compiz and emerald. I won't make a hunger strike over it but as long as i have the choice i'll stay with gnome 2. When i will have to move the 3 will be more mature. Maybe i will end up with LXDE or XFCE on my netbook since i need something lightweight.

:)

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”