Slow maximize speed with Compiz

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kaneeec

Slow maximize speed with Compiz

Post by kaneeec »

I perfomed a huge system upgrade today. And a problem occured - window maximization takes a few seconds which is terrible. I used to fix it with this patch but I have the system too new now and the patch says it cannot be installed.

I tried to force the installation but it ruined the xorg and I had to revert it back in recovery mode.

Do you have any ideas how to fix this? I can provide more information if you say so.

Info

Code: Select all

kernel: 2.6.32-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP
dist: Linux Mint Isadora
driver: fglrx 2:8.723.1-0ubuntu6
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RAWRferal

Re: Slow maximize speed with Compiz

Post by RAWRferal »

Hi there. What are your system specs? Do you have a dedicated graphics card? If so, are your drivers up to date?
kaneeec

Post by kaneeec »

I have Radeon 3650HD and the fglrx driver was updated today so it should be the newest as possible.

Code: Select all

*-display
                description: VGA compatible controller
                product: Mobility Radeon HD 3650
                vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
                physical id: 0
                bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
                version: 00
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=0
                resources: irq:32 memory:d0000000-dfffffff(prefetchable) ioport:2000(size=256) memory:cfff0000-cfffffff memory:cff00000-cff1ffff(prefetchable)
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

Hmm, in which case I've had a little search. Have you tried this xserver build with no back fill? https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+a ... o-backfill

Apparantly it's an issue conflicting with ATI catalyst drivers and many users running ubuntu report it fixes the issue.

Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8467405
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

Also if you still have trouble, try installing the open source driver as opposed to the proprietry as some users are reporting a fix that way!
kaneeec

Post by kaneeec »

RAWRferal wrote:Hmm, in which case I've had a little search. Have you tried this xserver build with no back fill? https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+a ... o-backfill

Apparantly it's an issue conflicting with ATI catalyst drivers and many users running ubuntu report it fixes the issue.

Thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8467405
Yeah. That's the driver I mentioned in the first post (I've forgotten to add link). So it was working before the update.

Fglrx is a proprietary driver? If so, which is the open source?

I think I have only the flrgx installed... I have never installed any other and I don't know if something is installed by default
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

Fglrx is proprietary. If the open source drivers are available you should find them in system settings > additional drivers.
kaneeec

Post by kaneeec »

RAWRferal wrote:Fglrx is proprietary. If the open source drivers are available you should find them in system settings > additional drivers.
I haven't found this additional drivers option, only the one where I can disable fglrx. I was looking for this open source driver but I've been able to find only a very old stuff. Do you know which deb package I should install or where I can find the version for my card?
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

Sorry my bad, apparantly with ATI if you uninstall the proprietary drivers and reboot it will use the open source ones by default. They are built into the kernel.
kaneeec

Post by kaneeec »

Interesting. It's really working now :) Thank you!
RAWRferal

Post by RAWRferal »

Ah that's great news! We got there eventually lol. I'm glad you got everything sorted :D

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”