want to make a key card for sudo (with a 64mb mem stick)

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crypto

want to make a key card for sudo (with a 64mb mem stick)

Post by crypto »

So i don't think there is a program to do this yet ...

so i change settings and programs a lot, like i mean a lot .... to find the ones i like the best ...

What i would like is to set up my system... to use a key of sorts ...

What i mean is this i want to have this 64mb mem card, act as an admin key ..

so if the key is in the computer then it dose not prompt me for any passwords .. be great if it could work with the keyring programs..

and if the key is out then, it reverts to asking for a password ...

I also do want to get to know python and the admin side of Linux better and i have started both of thous things ...

I would be willing to creat the program to do it my self, however i would probably need some help .. help to me is pointing me at informaion that could help my cause i don't want anyone to do it for me, unless of course they want to ...

~crypto
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: want to make a key card for sudo (with a 64mb mem stick)

Post by xenopeek »

Moving it here as I think the forum members here know more about such things.

Personally, I do my experimenting on another Linux Mint, installed as a virtual machine (using VirtualBox). I sometimes disable password prompting there, as if I mess anything up in the virtual machine it doesn't affect my main installation so no harm done. If you are running commands from the terminal, doing a "sudo -i" gives you a root shell from which you can commands as root without using sudo. Type "exit" to return to your normal, unprivileged, shell.
crypto

Re: want to make a key card for sudo (with a 64mb mem stick)

Post by crypto »

Ya, virtualbox i've used it (great emu )..... however it's not the best testing env. for me ... Maybe i can with the debian version with the lower resource use.....

i want the admin key for 2 reasons ... one because i don't like typing in the password all the time..

2 because i think that i could get people to switch over easier with a feature like that ... for parents - goverment offices - libaries... set it up so when you pull it out you can chmod -x firefox for instance ... can't turn it back on with out the key ...

it would probally draw companies as well, then they could make there passwords super long and no one needs to remember it, like my password in 25 chars long .... so you can see why i don't like typing it in all the time epecally when i'm always tring new things ... however i didn't know about sudo -i ... and that will help too .... i noticed you can log in as root as well in LMDE, and there is a root shell as well ...

.. I do my best to get people away from windows ... i have fully converted 5 people and semi converted 30 or so ... the 5 are very happy with mint. :) I am too don't have to go and fix it all the time like Windows..

In other notes ...... The password thing that debian dose i like thou, storing the password for the session, great feature i think... makes things a little smother ... i have 3 installs on this laptop mint 13 (that i keep stable), debain 6, and LMDE (used for learning (works well because i brake the system a lot and fixing it is the best way to learn.. )... python / bash scripting, boot process) ...

Return to “Scripts & Bash”