How to save terminal code changes?

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eiger3970
Level 4
Level 4

How to save terminal code changes?

Post by eiger3970 »

Hi, I'm a Linux Mint 13 Maya noob as you can tell from my stupid question.

I've just edited some sftp code as per http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0bgpCQPqpk
I don't know how to save the changes?
I checked:
Google
Linux Mint forum
Terminal command reference: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/244

At 3'16" the tutorial on sftp saves the file, but I can't see what keyboard tricks are being actioned.

Appreciate any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Machine specs:
Disk space: 184.8 GB
Graphics: GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-76-generic x86_64
Linux Mint 21.1 Vera 64-bit.
MATE 1.26.0
Memory: 15.5 GiB
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-10105F CPU @ 3.7GHz x 8
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to save terminal code changes?

Post by xenopeek »

This should probably find help here, so moving it.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to save terminal code changes?

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

eiger3970 wrote:I don't know how to save the changes? ... At 3'16" the tutorial on sftp saves the file, but I can't see what keyboard tricks are being actioned.
It is not a keyboard trick, but rather a keyboard shortcut; a convention used in lieu of using the mouse to click a sequence of menus that results in the same action.

Just like most (if not all) editing applications, when you attempt to exit the program without saving the changes first, you'll be prompted if you want to save the changes. The bottom portion of nano (where you see the lines with control commands -- as prefixed with the caret symbol) in the video already gave you the clue what keyboard sequence to press in order to do an action.

Ergo, pressing ^X (whenever you see sequences like these, it means you press and hold the [Ctrl] aka "Control" button while pressing the letter in the said sequence) will give you the same result as what's shown in the video.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

Return to “Scripts & Bash”