Creating auto executing script

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Creating auto executing script

Postby cancer10 on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:52 am

Hi

I come from a windows background and in windows there was .bat files that could run commands automatically. Now since I have swiched to linux i beilieve it does not support .bat files, so I was wondering can someone please help me create a script which when run, will do the following:

1. Run Command: sudo ntpdate ntp.ubuntu.com pool.ntp.org

2. Automatically enter the system password: helloworld

Thanks for any help.
cancer10
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Creating auto executing script

Postby xenopeek on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:49 am

This isn't possible in the way that you suggest. Using sudo, you will have to type the password, unless you reconfigure sudo to not need a password for the ntpdate command for your account. That's a bit more difficult.

Could you let us know what you are trying to do here?

Each time your network interface goes up, ntpdate is run (see the file /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate) and uses ntp.ubuntu.com (see the file /etc/default/ntpdate). If you want it to also use pool.ntp.org (though you had better include a country code in that I think), you can just add that in /etc/default/ntpdate.

There are various ways to run system commands automatically without having to the enter a password. Clearly, you do that by running the scripts not from your account but from root's account. But before I write more about that, it would be helpful to understand what you are trying to do :)
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Habitual on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 am

My DorkBlog
Cirrhus9.com - Managed HA VDSs and Scalable grid solutions.
Habitual
Level 7
Level 7

Postby cancer10 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:14 am

xenopeek wrote:This isn't possible in the way that you suggest. Using sudo, you will have to type the password, unless you reconfigure sudo to not need a password for the ntpdate command for your account. That's a bit more difficult.

Could you let us know what you are trying to do here?

Each time your network interface goes up, ntpdate is run (see the file /etc/network/if-up.d/ntpdate) and uses ntp.ubuntu.com (see the file /etc/default/ntpdate). If you want it to also use pool.ntp.org (though you had better include a country code in that I think), you can just add that in /etc/default/ntpdate.

There are various ways to run system commands automatically without having to the enter a password. Clearly, you do that by running the scripts not from your account but from root's account. But before I write more about that, it would be helpful to understand what you are trying to do :)

Thanks for your reply.

To give you a summary of why I need this script is because a couple of days ago I posted a question on this forum, but the solution I got does not work properly.

So I was thinking to write a script that I can run once I connect to the internet so that my system time is updated.

If you can give me a solution, i'd be greateful to you.

Thanks
cancer10
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:20 pm

The easiest way to do this is by editing the file /etc/rc.local, as also shown on your linked topic. To edit that file open a terminal or press Alt+F2 for the run dialog and give the command:
Code: Select all
gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local

Just add the line you want to execute, without the sudo prefix, before the final "exit 0" line in the file /etc/rc.local. So insert the line:
Code: Select all
ntpdate ntp.ubuntu.com pool.ntp.org

ntpdate is not ntpd BTW, but I take it you understand that. ntpd isn't installed on Linux Mint by default IIRC, but indeed ntpdate is.
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Scripts & Bash