Text based RPG in python - ideas/help wanted

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Text based RPG in python - ideas/help wanted

Postby JohnBobSmith on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:07 pm

Hello everyone. Im writing a text based RPG in python. I am currently using python 3, but I will most likely write it in python 2.7, so that everyone who wants to will be able to play my RPG without having to install anything (at least for Linux). I am doing this as a fun project where, I hope to:

A) Learn good programming practices and concepts. I tried going to C++ too fast, and as a result, I didnt like it that much. Once I have more python experience, then I will probably move to C# instead of C++. This will hopefully lead to a good career in computer sciences of some sort.
B) Learn good English and story-writing skills. I am currently struggling with English in school. My thouguhts are that if I can apply the same principles taught in class to a fun project, I will learn them and remember them better.
C) Discuss programming in a fun and positive environment with fellow programmers.

This leads me to my next point. Since this is going to be a relatively large project, I want your guy's input in the form of:

A) Ideas
B) Bug testing
C) Code contributions
D) ASCII Art. Something like this:

Code: Select all
  O
-- | --
   |
 /   \

Should work nicely.
E) Any other ways you guys would like to contribute.

I do plan on releasing this project as an open source, free project. Meaning I will, at the time of release:

A) Give the source code to anyone who wants it.
B) Will NOT charge a penny for anyone who wishes to play my game.

Right now, everything is in the beginning phases. So ideas for the combat system, shop and its contents, and storyline are all welcome!

I will probably setup my own website using a free hosting service, for this project. I hope to see you guys there! :D
Running on ancient hardware and a mediocre laptop.
JohnBobSmith
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Text based RPG in python - ideas/help wanted

Postby xenopeek on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:16 am

JohnBobSmith wrote:I am currently using python 3, but I will most likely write it in python 2.7, so that everyone who wants to will be able to play my RPG without having to install anything (at least for Linux)

Python 3 is installed along with Python 2.7 on most Linux distros. Just start your Python script with "#!/usr/bin/env python3" to have it use the system's default Python 3 interpreter.

Anyway, sounds like a fun journey :D I'd recommend you start small as you will be making design and programming mistakes if this is your first game. You need to make those mistakes BTW, as that is the best way to learn and grow. From your description you could for example start with some individual modules. How about you build a first module for the shop, and make that roughly work? Then you can later integrate it in your RPG with some rewrites and polishing.

I use Python for programming, mostly tools for my own use. Back when I was I teenager (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away...) I wrote games in C and assembly. Not nearly as fast as doing that today in Python, but the same concepts apply. Set small and achievable goals so you keep being motivated and seeing progress on your work :wink:

There are many free resources for Python game programming: https://wiki.python.org/moin/GameProgramming
Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Text based RPG in python - ideas/help wanted

Postby JohnBobSmith on Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks for being so supportive xenopeek! Just a note, I had looked into the Mint Tools and decided that it wasn't for me. However, I would still like to contribute to the community, so I will do so in the form of my RPG, and helping people in IRC and on the forums to the best of my ability. Thanks for the tips and advice on how to work on my RPG. I can now stay with the python im familliar with (python 3) and go from there! :D
Running on ancient hardware and a mediocre laptop.
JohnBobSmith
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Scripts & Bash