start up

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unclesirbobby

start up

Post by unclesirbobby »

I have spotted that I can make programs start up when I boot u. But I am unsure how to do this.

I wish to open up preferences and then general preferences window. How would I get that to open on start up. My eyesight is very bad and I use general preferences to open double the size of the desktop. However this only works with certain applications so I have to keep changing the general preferences.

also How can I get a folder to open automatically on start up
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: start up

Post by Flemur »

I have spotted that I can make programs start up when I boot u. But I am unsure how to do this.

There should be an entry somewhere in your menus - "Session and Startup" or something similar.

Trick: start the programs you want to run, find the "Session and Startup" settings and look for something like "Save this session" (or something similar); it should cause the running programs to start when you boot up.

Failing that, try adding the lines to your /home/username/.xinitrc file. Create it if it doesn't exist.

I wish to open up preferences and then general preferences window. How would I get that to open on start up.

If you can't do it with "Save this session", first find out the name of the program that's running (the "preferences" program). You can do that by starting it and looking in a "task manager" to find the executable name. Then you can add that command - say "xfce-preferences" (a name I made up) to either the "Session and Startup" or the .xinitrc file.

also How can I get a folder to open automatically on start up

A command line would look like:

Code: Select all

thunar /path/to/folder
Replace "thunar" with your file-manager's name.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
unclesirbobby

Re: start up

Post by unclesirbobby »

I managed to do them all

first I needed to know the name of the file mananger

I think it was

nemo followed by the path to the file

The serttings start up was achieved by typing

cinnamon-control settings

I then disabled that as I realised that when I opened the menu I could drag that particular selection onto the bottom bar

The text files was achieved by typing gedit an then the path to two files

gedit textfile1.txt textfile2.txt

Return to “Scripts & Bash”