Post install script for mint cd install

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hellfire695

Post install script for mint cd install

Post by hellfire695 »

here is a little script I wrote to make life easier when installing mint 12 with the cd
its a post install script
just cut n paste and called the saved file install.sh and to run

These are potential dangerous commands, so don't run them unless you know what each does!

sudo sh /PATH/install.sh

apt-get update
apt-get install apt-spy
apt-spy update
apt-get upgrade --force-yes
apt-get dist-upgrade --force-yes
apt-get install preload
apt-get install mint-meta-codecs
apt-get install mint-meta-gnome-dvd
apt-get install wine winetricks

hope everyone finds this simple script useful
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Post install script for mint cd install

Post by xenopeek »

The apt-get dist-upgrade also installs level 4 and 5 updates, which normally aren't installed as they may lead to an unbootable system or introduce new hardware incompatibilities that weren't evident from the live session. I've added a warning to above commands as this can leave somebody unable to use their computer (if they don't know how to boot an older kernel or resolve graphics card driver issues).

And perhaps automatically installing wine is not for everybody :wink:
hellfire695

Re: Post install script for mint cd install

Post by hellfire695 »

xenopeek wrote:The apt-get dist-upgrade also installs level 4 and 5 updates, which normally aren't installed as they may lead to an unbootable system or introduce new hardware incompatibilities that weren't evident from the live session. I've added a warning to above commands as this can leave somebody unable to use their computer (if they don't know how to boot an older kernel or resolve graphics card driver issues).

And perhaps automatically installing wine is not for everybody :wink:
Thank you for adding that warning i never thought of that, as for installing i dont see the harm in it, most people will use it atleast once.
eitherway just a little something for those willing to try it

Return to “Scripts & Bash”