Desktop Screenshots Thread - January 2012

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cwwgateway

Re: Desktop Screenshots Thread - January 2012

Post by cwwgateway »

steviejay wrote:Woo Hoo! :D I've finally got Mint 12 looking and working the way I want it to (well 95% or so).

Which dock is that? And is the mint menu in it? I remember a long time ago I found a way to get the mint menu in a dock (I forget which one), but I've forgotten.
steviejay

Post by steviejay »

cwwgateway wrote: Image

Which dock is that? And is the mint menu in it? I remember a long time ago I found a way to get the mint menu in a dock (I forget which one), but I've forgotten.
[/quote]

It's Avant Window Navigator with the Ambiance theme. The menu is Cairo Main Menu from the bundled applets with my own custom Mint icon added to it. There is a Mint Menu awn applet but I couldn't get it to work for some reason.

I have the Hope window theme together with Faience Azure icons installed to keep the blue theme going.

Last edited by steviejay on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

steviejay wrote: It's Avant Window Navigator with the Ambiance them. The menu is Cairo Main Menu from the bundled applets with my own custom Mint icon added to it. There is a Mint Menu awn applet but I couldn't get it to work for some reason.

I have the Hope window theme together with Faience Azure icons installed to keep the blue theme going.

Apparently, you need mint menu installed for the awn apple to work (so says this article: http://www.webupd8.org/2010/11/use-mint ... gator.html). Don't know if the mate one works. Just looked at the webupd8 ppa for mint menu (not anything to do with awn, just the mint menu) and they don't have a version for oneiric, which is not surprising considering it is based on gnome 3, not gnome 2. And it uses unity as its default.
steviejay

Post by steviejay »

cwwgateway wrote: Apparently, you need mint menu installed for the awn apple to work
Yes, I installed Mint Menu (together with a cr*pload of dependencies) via Synaptic prior to installing the applet via gdebi. It did say that all dependencies were satisfied so maybe it's just down to some incompatibility with Gnome 3 as you say.
steviejay

Post by steviejay »

Changed again! :D

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint 12 KDE running flawlessly:

Mint Cinnamon 20.1
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

Looks pretty good tdockery. Which version of KDE is that? I'm hearing some folk have 4.8 but I have 4.7.4.
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

LM12/xfce...
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Very nicely done lKingjr 8)
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

danke Oscar :D
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

My Linux From Scratch desktop with xfce4

Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
lKingjr

Post by lKingjr »

LM12/MATE...
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

steviejay wrote:Woo Hoo! :D I've finally got Mint 12 looking and working the way I want it to (well 95% or so).
As opposed to just using a distro that works 100% the way you want out of the box? Just sayin'...

That's why I'm still on Mint-10. Best Mint release EVER! Hopefully things will improve with Gnome3/Cinnamon, and/or MATE in the near future. For now I'm still rockin' Mint-10!

My current desktop I just made today.

Alternate one I made earlier.

My Compiz configuration, featuring the Starship Mint, orbiting over the Northern hemisphere.

Click the pics to be directed to the hosting site. From there you can view them at medium and full size. Click 1920x1080, then click the pic again to see the full HD version. Or just click the Download Now link to grab them for close examination.
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

BostonPeng wrote:Looks pretty good tdockery. Which version of KDE is that? I'm hearing some folk have 4.8 but I have 4.7.4.
Thanks. I'm presently holding at 4.7.3. It's working great and I don't want to mess with it.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

tdockery97 wrote:
BostonPeng wrote:Looks pretty good tdockery. Which version of KDE is that? I'm hearing some folk have 4.8 but I have 4.7.4.
Thanks. I'm presently holding at 4.7.3. It's working great and I don't want to mess with it.
You can take 4.7.4. It's working like a charm for me.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Actually, I just decided to go for it and upgraded to KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 RC2). Very nice.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

[Perk] KDE 4.7.97 (4.8 RC2)? {blink blink blink) I wanna play in that sandbox. Where did you install it from?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I don't know how you would get it for LMDE. There is a PPA for it, which as we all know isn't recommended to use on Debian.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

I completely forgot that Mint KDE uses PPAs. Thanks for pointing out my error. I'll check the old KDE experimental repo and see if it's there, and if it's even ok to take from since I'm using Debian's KDE testing files.

Return to “Screenshots”