Reset all the DE for graphic server fail at login

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
magisterludi

Reset all the DE for graphic server fail at login

Post by magisterludi »

Hi to all,on my notebook I installed LMDE Gnome 32 bit and I have also Cinnamon.
I can't figure what I changed but now I can't login because xserver doesn't start, I have only a screen not much informative ("Oh no, something was wrong, i got an unrecoverable error, restart session" this is my translation from Italian language because I have an Italian localised installation) and after i click it turns to the login screen, if I choose Cinnamon, Gnome or Gnome Classic nothing changes, the same errors happens. I can login to a text console and if I try to start xserver with

Code: Select all

startx
sometime it works and Gnome Classic starts and sometimes (most of the times) the same error happen.
After a lot of tests, including forced reinstall of gdm, xserver-xorg and dpkg-reconfigure of these packets I then logged in the system as root and Gnome started and works perfectly. I added a new user and also with this user I can login and choose any of the 3 DE and all work.
Then I think there is some config file corrupted that affects all the 3 DE. I found some guide that teach how to reset configuration of gnome and cinnamon separately but how I can identify which config file is in charge of the errors and remove it?
Thanks and regards
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pharpend

Re: Reset all the DE for graphic server fail at login

Post by pharpend »

Howdy

I am an Arch user, but I ran into a similar problem and solved it.

The only configuration file that could potentially be poblematic would be .xinitrc.

Could you please post the output of

Code: Select all

cat < ~/.xinitrc
(when you are logged in as you, as opposed to the root or tertiary user).
pharpend

Re: Reset all the DE for graphic server fail at login

Post by pharpend »

Well, I was initially using SLiM. To troubleshoot, I switched to GDM, and now it works.

Return to “LMDE Archive”