Cinnamon 2.0 and LMDE - Coming Soon!

Questions about Cinnamon,MATE,Xfce etc.

Cinnamon 2.0 and LMDE - Coming Soon!

Postby GeneC on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:43 am

Cinnamon 2.0 and Debian

Its not yet available on Debian based distros (unless you compile from source), but I have been using it for a week or so on my Manjaro installation. Its quite a change from earlier Cinnamon versions, large improvements. The biggest change is that it is no longer dependent on Gnome.

(click link for info)
http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/c ... -released/

Cinnamon Backend 2.0
Prior to version 2.0, and similar to Shell or Unity, Cinnamon was a frontend on top of the GNOME desktop.

In version 2.0, and similar to MATE or Xfce, Cinnamon is an entire desktop environment built on GNOME technologies. It still uses toolkits and libraries such as GTK or Clutter and it is still compatible with all GNOME applications, but it no longer requires GNOME itself to be installed. It now communicates directly with its own backend services, libraries and daemons: cinnamon-desktop, cinnamon-session and cinnamon-settings-daemon.

Better compatibility and portability

Another very tangible gain is backward compatibility and portability. Until now Cinnamon was designed to work on top of GNOME 3… a desktop which is being actively designed and features radical changes every 6 months. For instance, it is not possible to communicate with gnome-settings-daemon 3.8 the same way as with gnome-settings-daemon 3.6. The communication protocols and ABI keep changing and so a particular version of Cinnamon had to be designed to work with a particular version of GNOME.

It looks like it will come to LMDE (and then shortly thereafter to Debian proper) sometime in Decenber (or later).

This new version will be featured in Linux Mint 16 “Petra” planned for the end of November and will then be backported to LMDE and Linux Mint 13 LTS.

Cinnamon 2.0 represents 5 months of development and 856 commits from 28 developers. It features a lot of bug fixes but also brand new features and many improvements.

I really like this new Cinnamon. The window edge-snapping/tiling is impressive. The included default applets are pretty complete and new ones should come soon. Many of the old ones still work fine.

http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/

My Manjaro/Cinnamon 2.0.6
Gotham Conky
Accuweather Desklet
Docky

GeneC

AMD Phenom2x4 3.2 ghz, 12GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 460

LMDE (Cinnamon)
Debian (Gnome Shell 3.8.4 - Testing)
Siduction (XFCE -Debian SID)
Makulu 5 (XFCE-Testing)
GeneC
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cinnamon 2.0 and LMDE - Coming Soon!

Postby nomko on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Where's that toothless, untended avatar????
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ASUS P5KPL-AM SE*Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200*4 GiB ram*nVidia GeForce 9500GT*Realtek RTL8101/8102E*Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7200A*HDD:Samsung HD501LJ/HD103SI*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)*Mint 16

Copy.com

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!
nomko
Level 7
Level 7

Postby GeneC on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Hi Nomko..

Time for him to retire... :lol:
GeneC

LMDE (Cinnamon)
Makulu 5 (XFCE-Testing)
GeneC
Level 6
Level 6

How-to-build-and-install-the-latest-cinnamon-from-git

Postby GeneC on Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:13 pm

If anyone is impatient enough to compile it from souce. Clem has put together a very thorough tutorial here.

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/h ... -from-git/

A partial quote

How to build and install the latest Cinnamon from Git
by clem 18
16 Oct 2013 | General
Introduction
This article explains how to install the very latest Cinnamon, not the very latest stable release, but the current version from the Github development repository.

Warning
If you are not experienced with APT/DPKG, do NOT try this at home. This is trivial for certain users and really complicated for others. If things go wrong, it’s ok… but if you don’t know how to downgrade package, or how to reinstall them or troubleshoot with dpkg, you could end up with a broken desktop environment.

So this is for experienced users ONLY.
[....................]
GeneC

LMDE (Cinnamon)
Makulu 5 (XFCE-Testing)
GeneC
Level 6
Level 6

Postby killer de bug on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:21 am

I have been testing it for the last 2 weeks on LMDE + UP7. I removed all the useless Gnome libs. It's working really well. It's fast and stable.
Actually it's the first version I consider stable. I had a lot of troubles with 1.8.8. The status bar was always broken at boot. :mrgreen:

Just 2 points : the last cinnamon-translation is not available. It will probably be fixed before Petra release.
The delay between MDM and Desktop appearance at login is still not solved. But I must admit that I don't have the last MDM.

Tonight I will compile the last release 2.0.10 which is suppose to be faster than the others. I will see :wink:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 6
Level 6

Postby hugoleal85 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 am

Hi, guys.

Any chance Cinnamon 2.0 coming to Maya repos before Petra release?

Thanks in advance.
hugoleal85
Level 1
Level 1

Postby killer de bug on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:10 am

No! Absolutely no chance.

2 thinks : 1) You're in LMDE section which means that we are using Debian and not the main version based on Ubuntu.
2) You are lucky. There is a ppa from Gwendal le Bihan wich allows you to install Cinnamon 2.0 painlessly. And you will get upgrade if any.
Your other choices is either to wait or to compile it. It's easy but a little bit risky if you don't know what you are doing. This said, even ppa is risky... Mostly safe, but there is still a riks...
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Desktops and Windows Managers