[Solved] Only mouse is visible after login

[Solved] Only mouse is visible after login

Postby cerilious on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:14 am

Hi LMDE forums,
I've just started having this issue after installing the newest version of gimp available on synaptic.
I can log in and use all the ttys other than 8, which is the one that usually runs cinnamon or gnome.
If I try to log in normally, which I believe is on tty8 I simple get a mouse cursor on a black screen forever.

If it helps anyone understand my problem plymouth does fail on startup. I get the "plymouth: ... failed!" error.
I'm pretty sure I got this error before and everything worked just fine. I have also read many threads about other getting that error, but everything was fine for them too.
One last thing worth noting is that I remember being able to select which desktop manager ran from the boot screen, but since updated gimp I only get 3 options.
These options were something along the lines of the following.
- Last Session
- Xclient script boot (or something like that>
- Remote x server something (I'll find out what it really said if someone thinks it's important)
Like I said previously, I used to be able to select between, Gnome, Gnome 2(3?), Cinnamon, and XFce

I have full control access to the terminal logged in, but I just can't start my xserver or gnome or cinnamon or anything on any tty because it's already running on tty8.
I need cinnamon or something so I can use Firefox. I'd really like to NOT re-install LMDE, although I am capable of doing so if I need to.
Things I have tried:
Re-installing/updating plymouth - no affect.
Applyed "nomodeset" to boot options - no affect.

I would appreciate any ideas anyone has, even if they are simply to re-install some package.
Last edited by cerilious on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cerilious
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Only mouse is visible after login

Postby Monsta on Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:59 am

cerilious wrote:If it helps anyone understand my problem plymouth does fail on startup. I get the "plymouth: ... failed!" error.

That message is a red herring - plymouth is a software that talks too much.

cerilious wrote:One last thing worth noting is that I remember being able to select which desktop manager ran from the boot screen, but since updated gimp I only get 3 options.

You know, LMDE does not get the updates for some selected packages. It gets the updates for the whole system, that's what's called Update Pack. If you saw the newer version of gimp in Synaptic, that means there's a lot of other updates waiting to be downloaded and applied, i.e. a new UP is available. And when a new UP is available, it's advised to upgrade the whole system instead of updating only some selected software you want.

Switch to one of the ttys, log in as root and run
Code: Select all
apt update && apt dist-upgrade
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cerilious on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 pm

Thank you very much Monsta. I thought it had to be something along those lines. I am very lazy when it comes to doing large updates.
I guess I've just been lucky until this point that software and stuff I've installed until now has not been dependent on updates I do not have.
I'm doing the upgrades now. I'll be sure to edit this post or reply if this solves my problem.

EDIT: After the updates completed, the terminal said
dpkg: error processing initramfs-tools (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script return error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It was about 500mb of updates and nothing seemed to go wrong until then.
I still get a black screen with my mouse pointer after I log in.
Do you think the damage is already done? Or should I continue to try to repair?
Do you believe I could avoid this issue in the future by updating LMDE first thing and then installing the software I want?
cerilious
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monsta on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:00 pm

cerilious wrote:I am very lazy when it comes to doing large updates.

Then LMDE is not for you.

cerilious wrote:EDIT: After the updates completed, the terminal said
dpkg: error processing initramfs-tools (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script return error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
initramfs-tools
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Recover from the errors/fix broken dependencies:
sudo apt-get -f install

Resume the upgrade:
apt dist-upgrade
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Postby cerilious on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Thank you very much for all your guidance.
I'm not lazy on purpose. Forgetful is probably more accurate.
I have not been using LMDE correctly up to this point, but I will from now on if I can manage it.
I did the system upgrade as you instructed, but there were a few more things I had to do before it worked.
I first did > sudo apt-get -f install
then > apt dist-upgrade, which took 2 hours

After that I still had no desktop manager so I installed cinnamon with apt.
I restarted my computer and cinnamon ran and crashed. It said something about a driver missing and that cinnamon acceleration could not be used. So from there I tried to install a driver for my radeon graphics card with the Device Driver Manager but DDM said it found an unknown driver. After some searching I found that the solution there was to install firmware-b43-installer and then install my the radeon driver through DDM.

This solved my issues and things look even slicker than normal.

EDIT: In a way, I have two new issues. I wonder if I should start a new topic for these. Yeah, I think I will if I can't find someone who has already had this problem.
The issues are these:
Under preferences, almost every icon and selection has a duplicate, with an extremely similar, but not identical icon.
EDIT2: Yeah this first problem is covered here.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=159040#p822578
The Second issue is the old version of linux is still available for selection in Grub which is something that doesn't hurt me, but I don't care for as well.
cerilious
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Monsta on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:17 am

cerilious wrote:The Second issue is the old version of linux is still available for selection in Grub which is something that doesn't hurt me, but I don't care for as well.

Issue? :D
Of course the previous kernel is available after the upgrade. It's up to the user to decide whether to remove it or leave it.
Monsta
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Others