Steam displays on hidden window - Display/Compositing issue

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
vayu

Steam displays on hidden window - Display/Compositing issue

Post by vayu »

After getting Steam to work, the games within it come up black. If I go to a different desktop the fullscreen black area turns into a window displaying a frame of the running game. If I click on it, it goes back to fullscreen and black.

I believe this is a compositing problem because if I logout and go to Gnome classic, The game displays/plays well. Any ideas, workarounds? Is there a way to turn off compositing for fullscreen or specific applications?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Steam displays on hidden window - Display/Compositing is

Post by grimdestripador »

In most linux DE, You can move a window from anywhere (not just title-bar) if you hold alt while clicking. I lost a steam window once. I just did my best guessing where the window's location was while holding alt, before clicking and dragging random sections of the 'dark' screen onto the visiable screen.

There also once was a time, when I coun't get to the window at all, I was playing with multi-monitor setups. In this case, bring monitor configuration back to the way it was. Or you could find the steam configuration file located somewhere in the depths of /home/user/.steam
vayu

Re: Steam displays on hidden window - Display/Compositing is

Post by vayu »

The Window originally seemed dead to input. I discovered that the button input areas on the screen were active but corresponded to the area they would be if the screen was being displayed fullscreen. After estimating where to click I made it to Garrys Mod settings where I set it to display windowed mode rather than full screen. I can now play Garry's Mod within Steam on LMDE Cinnamon. FYI this seems to be an LMDE issue not purely Cinnamon. My son uses Cinnamon on Xubuntu and does not have this issue, but the issue exists for 2 different LMDE computers (both with Catalyst video).

Return to “LMDE Archive”