cinnamon 2.x build instructions?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lizbeth

cinnamon 2.x build instructions?

Post by lizbeth »

Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? Anyone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: cinnamon 2.x build instructions?

Post by nomko »

First of all Lizbeth, this is not the proper way to ask for help. It's really arrogant and pushy, immature if you ask me. Don't do this ever again. Do this a couple of times more and nobody will ever help you again.

That being said, did you looked for yourself to find any solutions? Google? This forum?

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/cinnamon-20-released-becomes-entire.html
http://www.unixmen.com/cinnamon-2-0-released/
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=147196&p=773105
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

First off, be a dweeb ... don't hold back... I asked a question. Get over it.

Secondly, I ain';t your princess and I can ask in a thousand different ways that are legit.

Lastly, let me see if you actually answered the question and stopped acting like a drama queen..
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

Thanks I did use the cinnamon forum to ask about cinnamon....

and the lmde version because the ppa won't work

remembuer i asked for build instructions.... i found them in the irc but i am in another disto nw and cant fiind them
lizbeth

Post by lizbeth »

PS your links don't help
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

This thread seems to be descending into a slanging match - please keep it civil
nomko

Post by nomko »

lizbeth wrote:First off, be a dweeb ... don't hold back... I asked a question. Get over it.

Secondly, I ain';t your princess and I can ask in a thousand different ways that are legit.

Lastly, let me see if you actually answered the question and stopped acting like a drama queen..
You asked a question??? You were more demanding a question! Don't you be arrogant on me, ask a question as it should be and like anyone else here! Neither did you provide us with info about your system, neither did you provide us with info about which version of Mint you're running. And placing the question in the topic title is fine, but explain also what you did yourself instead of going crazy with what you wrote in your post. That's inappropriate, immature, demanding and not very respectful to others!!! And you also have the guts to give me a big mouth telling me that i'm a drama queen??? Look at yourself first!! Instead of reading my response very well and take notice of it, you turn blind and deaf and start giving me a big mouth!!!

I'm not planning to help you any more!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Hi Lizbeth,

Two link of interest for you : one in english here and in french here.

Look like the level of SolydXK forum moderator is decreasing. That's a pity for this nice distro. :(
Ohhhhh and your answer is probably hidden in Mint website, by the way.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

killer de bug
it's the [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=101438&p=774475#p774475]second time[/url] that you imply (wrongly) that Lizbeth is part of the SolydXK moderation team.
if you are going to judge our team the minimum we can expect is that you do it with truth.

so, to be crystal clear:: Lizbeth is not (and never was) part of the SolydXK moderation team.
SkipG

Post by SkipG »

@Lizbeth

I know what you're asking, and it can be done. Building and installing Cinnamon on LMDE is a tad more difficult because you need to remove the current cinnamon (1.8) in order to install the new one. You can either install LXDE and work graphically in it, or simply exit the xserver and do things in a console window (which you might have done to install the proprietary Nvidia driver). The build instructions remain the same, as published on segfault. To automate installing all of the build dependencies, I visited each of the components on github, opened the debian/control file in a web browser, copied all the packages listed under build-depends for each component and pasted them into a text editor. After doing this, I sorted the list and removed duplicates. All of the packages in LMDE 7, Debian Wheezy and Jessie meet the specified minimum version, so the version requirements can be stripped before (or after) sorting. This list can be opened in a text editor and each entry can be copied and pasted in a terminal window as arguments to apt-get or aptitude. I got tired of doing this after the 2nd or 3rd time and wrote a shell script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

for f in <insert long list of packages here: e.g., dpkg-dev gnome-common ...>; do
aptitude install -y $f || exit 1
done

I then exited the GUI by doing <CTRL><ALT>F1
Login
sudo service mdm stop
remove cinnamon cinnamon-common nemo gnome-desktop-data
build and install the 10 packages (in order, except cinnamon-control-center has a dependency on nemo-data). After installing cinnamon-settings-daemon, build nemo, install nemo-data, move nemo*deb to a tmp folder, and then continue building and installing cinnamon-control-center, muffin and Cinnamon. Then install nemo and nemo-dbg, followed by cinnamon-screensaver.

Then cross your fingers and do sudo service mdm start. I may have to do sudo shutdown -r now to launch the new GUI, but I think it worked fine. BTW, I did this in a virtual machine a few minutes ago. There are still a few rough edges to be fixed, but you can pull the components as they get updated and see if the glitches have been fixed.

Good luck!
--skip
marine6870

Post by marine6870 »

nomko wrote:First of all Lizbeth, this is not the proper way to ask for help. It's really arrogant and pushy, immature if you ask me. Don't do this ever again. Do this a couple of times more and nobody will ever help you again.

That being said, did you looked for yourself to find any solutions? Google? This forum?

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/cinnamon-20-released-becomes-entire.html
http://www.unixmen.com/cinnamon-2-0-released/
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=147196&p=773105
take a chill pill! relax she just asked a question
nomko

Post by nomko »

marine6870 wrote:take a chill pill! relax she just asked a question
There are certain rules on furms and the internet. There are 2links placed in [url=http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=147828#p775538]this thread[/url] on how to be polite.I think you missed this thread and links??? And when you done reading, take a good look at the first post of Lizbeth. That first post of her has nothing to do with being polite or asking a question the right way...

But first read was is written in those 2 links.....
coteyr

Post by coteyr »

Ok so building cinnamon 2 against LMDE is pretty simple.

First

git clone muffin.git # use the actual URL
Next

dpkg-buildpackage # not as root
Then it should complain about dependencies. You need to install those dependencies. Then run dpkg-build again. It will take several tries, but eventually it will build (when you fix all the dependencies)

Next build and install cinnamon from github in the same way.

10 git clone
20 dbpk-buildpackage
30 fix dependancies
40 GOTO 20  
If your not comfortable with that cycle then you will be MUCH better off waiting. There are a lot of dependencies, and you WILL break Cinnamon 1 to install Cinnamon 2. They may co-exist at some point in the future but right now their dependencies are to disparate to stay installed on the same machine (unless maybe you build Cinnamon 1 from source as well ... maybe)

Oh, quick note. When building from git, some of the dependence will come from git as well.
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Nomko, you are over the top. Honestly man. Nothing in Lizbeth's original post was rude or demanding or offensive or whatever other emotion you're projecting. Sure she might have done a little research first, before asking the question. And maybe her response to your attack was a bit childish. Nothing in her original post, however, warranted the attack. Lizbeth was in fact quoting a classic 1980's movie called 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'. (Which I highly recommend you watch since you seem wound a bit tight, much like Cameron Frye in the movie.) Perhaps her attempt at humor while asking a very legitimate question went right over your head, or maybe you were simply having a bad day. In any case your type of behavior is what pushes people away from distro communities. Perhaps you'd be more comfortable over at the Gentoo forums where arrogant, l33t a-holes are a dime a dozen. Just my $.02. I hope you have a wonderful day. :mrgreen:
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100

Return to “LMDE Archive”