Cinnamon stops responding after starting from DVD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
LouCypher

Cinnamon stops responding after starting from DVD

Post by LouCypher »

I have this problem both with LMDE and Mint 17 Qiana: starting from boot/installation DVD everything(?) goes fine, until I log in with Cinnamon.
With the standard renderer, the screen simply stays black, with mouse pointer still working; with the software render, everything is painted as expected, but any mouse click or hovering has no effect at all. With Ctrl-Alt-Backspace I can stop X and return to login, but nothing more.
Note that with safe boot mode I succeeded make it work, so to install LMDE system, but after install, running from HDD, I can't run Cinnamon anymore.
From command line I installed Xfce with aptitude, and that works, but Cinnamon doesn't.

The PC is an old laptop, a Toshiba Tecra A4 from 2005, though still has 1.5 GiB of RAM, an AMD X300 card with dedicated RAM, so not really ancient; still could run some useful software, and under Xfce has no problem running latest Firefox on bloated sites.

I just note that on another (newer) laptop of mine, where I installed LMDE/Cinnamon long time ago, and kept it updated, I had some troubles with latest Cinnamon update -- had to reinstall it totally, after last update, to let it work.

All this can definitely be... vague, but are there some common issues on latest Cinnamon?
Any hint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PatH57

Re: Cinnamon stops responding after starting from DVD

Post by PatH57 »

Hi,

seems related to the graphic card driver...
Could you provide the info from

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Also a copy of your grub.cfg to see what the default setting is ?

Thanks

Return to “LMDE Archive”