Alt + F1 and Alt + F2 doesn't work on Compiz and Metacity

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Tin_Tin

Alt + F1 and Alt + F2 doesn't work on Compiz and Metacity

Post by Tin_Tin »

I just installed LMDE and really like it. However, I can't get these two keys to work.

Alt+F1 to open menu
Alt + F2 to open run dialog

I've already spent 4 hours trying to figure it out but no luck.

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Alt + F1 and Alt + F2 doesn't work on Compiz and Metacit

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here by moderator
jswmcw

Post by jswmcw »

Tin_Tin wrote:I just installed LMDE and really like it. However, I can't get these two keys to work.

Alt+F1 to open menu
Alt + F2 to open run dialog

I've already spent 4 hours trying to figure it out but no luck.

Thanks,
I have the same issue. I have not figured out the Alt+F1, but I never use that. As a workaround for the run dialog, you can install gmrun. Then, you can set up Alt+F2 to launch gmrun in the commands section of ccsm. This has worked for me.
jasmineaura

Post by jasmineaura »

Much more elegant, native solution (than using gmrun/grun) here: http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopi ... =123#p1461
atarixle

Post by atarixle »

Quick and Dirty Alt+F1:

To activate the Alt+F1 keystroke, you can use the xte tool to simulate the mouseclick onto the menu.

As I have the Main Menu in the region of the upper-left corner, for me the command is

Code: Select all

xte 'keyup F1' 'keyup Alt' 'mousemove 25 10' 'mousedown 1' 'mouseup 1'
Simply enter this line in ccsm > Commands > Command line x, and set the keybinding to Alt+F1 in the Key Bindungs tab.

For you, enter the screen-position of the main menu on your screen behind the mousemove command.

Note, that it is neccassary to 'keyup F1' and 'keyup Alt', as the main menu does not appear when these keys are pressed (double weird, huh?).

Yes, the mouse will move to your menu, and doesn't stay at the position it was before. But this should be ok, as you just decided to control your PC via keyboard at this very moment.

The xte command by the way is part of the xautomation package in debian based Linux'es.

Return to “LMDE Archive”