Nautilus File Share (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Nautilus File Share (SOLVED)

Post by Fornhamfred »

I have had to re-install LMDE and have chosen to use Mate as the desktop. I want to share a folder in home called Data and have followed the instructions from Altairs thread to setup the samba share etc and installed nautilus share. However when I right click the folder in Nautilus and try to open share folder nothing happens. Can anyone throw some light on the problem please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Nautilus File Share

Post by altair4 »

A double whammy - LMDE + Mate.

I know nothing of Mate but wouldn't the proper package be caja-share and not nautilus-share?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I must be getting feeble minded. I went through this once before:
The "Sharing Options" option in the context menu in Gnome and cinnamon is provided by the following package:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nautilus-share
Doesn't seem to have any affect on Caja in Mint.

The following references a "caja-share" and it's renamed "mate-file-manager-share" but they do not appear in the repository: https://github.com/perberos/Mate-Deskto ... /issues/87

You could install the following package and create samba shares the "Classic" way:

sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
But this method isn't integrated into the file manager as it is in gnome.

Sorry, don't have an answer for this one.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Tried to apt-get install system-config-samba this was the output.

apt-get install system-config-samba
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Any ideas please.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Sounds like you have multiple instances of apt-get running or maybe Update manager is running or Synaptic or maybe all of the above.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Sure you were right, just tried again and now get the following output.
sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
[sudo] password for wilf:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package system-config-samba
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

E: Unable to locate package system-config-samba
And that would be because that package comes from Ubuntu not Debian. I suggested it because I don't use Debian and I forgot that it's not a native Debian package. Sorry about that. Well, that does not leave you a lot of options. There are other GUI utilities you can use but the 2 that are available will make a hopeless mess of your samba configuration file.

You've got 3 options in my opinion:

[1] If all you need to do is have the ability to move a file from A to B forget samba and install Transfer-on-Lan: http://code.google.com/p/transfer-on-lan/downloads/list

Download and extract it to a separate directory in your home folder and then just double click the "TransferOnLAN.sh" file and select "Run". Since it's running a java jar file it's truly cross platform and will run on Windows, Linux, and OSX. Every machine in you lan will have to install the application.

[2] Choose another Mint offering - Mint13-Mate for example.

[3] Do everything by hand. Unfortunately Debian's default smb.conf is messed up and needs to be fixed so the easiest way is just to use this one:

1st: Make a backup copy of your current smb.conf

sudo mv /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak
2nd: Create a new one:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
I have no idea what Mate's default editor is called so use that in place of gedit.
3rd: Add the following to that file:

[global]
	server string = %h server
	map to guest = Bad User
	obey pam restrictions = Yes
	pam password change = Yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
	unix password sync = Yes
	syslog = 0
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 1000
	dns proxy = No
	usershare allow guests = Yes
	panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
	idmap config * : backend = tdb

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories
	valid users = %S
	create mask = 0700
	directory mask = 0700
	browseable = No

[printers]
	comment = All Printers
	path = /var/spool/samba
	create mask = 0700
	printable = Yes
	print ok = Yes
   guest ok = yes
	browseable = No

[print$]
	comment = Printer Drivers
	path = /var/lib/samba/printers

[Public]
path = /home/altair/Public
read only = No
guest ok = yes
force user = altair
I've added one share at /home/altair/Public to start you off. Please substitute your own user name for every reference to altair

4th: Restart samba

sudo service samba restart
Then run the following command to test for errors:

testparm -s
And this one to see if you can see your share:

smbtree
Last edited by altair4 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://www.soft82.com/download/windows/transfer-on-lan/
  • Transfer on LAN is a software that allows multiple users to transfer files (or folders) on a local network. It is cross-platform (it works with Java 6) and requires no configuration.
    Transfer on LAN uses TCP and UDP ports 2011 (be careful if you have a firewall activated)
--if you do use transferonlan, note the caution..

And a bit on file sharing, if you want to check some options..
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EasyFileSharing
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks both of you. I will try out your suggestions and post back.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Altair

I have created the new smb.conf but cannot print to my windows printer. Have added

workgroup = mshome
This has allowed me to see the other computer but not access it.
I have on another partition my original LMDE which was upgraded with Pack 4 in April and because of the integrated graphics on machine will now only run gnome classic.
This is the smb.conf from that file system.

[global]

workgroup = mshome

server string = %h server

dns proxy = no

Map to guest = bad user

SharePoint User Allow guests = yes

force user = wilf

usershare allow guests = yes 

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

max log size = 1000

syslog = 0

panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

encrypt passwords = true

passdb backend = tdbsam

obey pam restrictions = yes

unix password sync = yes

passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

pam password change = yes

load printers = yes

printing = cups
 printcap name = cups

use client driver = Yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no

read only = yes

create mask = 0700

directory mask = 0700

valid users = %S

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   path = /var/spool/samba
   printable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = yes
   create mask = 0700

[print$]
   comment = Printer Drivers
   path = /var/lib/samba/printers
   browseable = yes
   read only = yes
   guest ok = no
I also had a data partition automounted to a shared file in home named data but cannot achieve this in the mate install. This is the classic fstab.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0

# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=f5355ad1-6de9-497b-a8d4-e2abe7336d4d none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
proc	/proc	proc	nodev,noexec,nosuid	0	0
# /dev/sda5	/	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
UUID=52b4e4c5-e17e-43e8-a74e-1be130bf664d	/	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
# /dev/sda7	/home	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
UUID=59624a92-f955-4544-ba30-d27af0d517a3	/home	ext4	rw,errors=remount-ro	0	0
# /dev/sdb9 /home/wilf/Data vfat umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0
UUID=4774-CC8F /home/wilf/Data vfat umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0
I could continue to use the gnome classic installation but am not sure how long classic is being supported. Mint 13 will not run on this machine and I would prefer not to have to replace it but find a system that works as well as LMDE and Gnome 2 did.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

** There is no requirement for having the workgroup name match on all machines in your lan. I have 3 workgroups at the moment and I can see and access all the hosts on all workgroups. If this works for you then you probably have machines in different subnets so I would recommend you start doing everything by ip address and not by browsing to the machines by name.

** I have no idea why you cannot print to the windows printer - is it shared? Does smbtree list the windows printer?

** As for the other smb.conf you posted there is no such option "SharePoint User Allow guests". If you run the following command:

testparm -s
It will return with this error:
Unknown parameter encountered: "SharePoint User Allow guests"
Ignoring unknown parameter "SharePoint User Allow guests"
If you are using some other layer of file sharing ( SharePoint ) I'm afraid I can't help you with any of that.

** I don't know what this means:
I also had a data partition automounted to a shared file in home named data but cannot achieve this in the mate install. This is the classic fstab.
Although you have some unnecessary options specified, this line in fstab should work anywhere on any Linux OS regardless of DE:
UUID=4774-CC8F /home/wilf/Data vfat umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0
Assuming of course that is the correct UUID and that mount point exists.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks for your swift response.

1. smbtree returns nothing.

2. I now cannot see the windows machine on my lan and likewise the windows machine cannot see MInt.

3. Ref fstab. I created a folder in my home directory /home/wilf/Data but adding the entry to the Mate fstab as listed had no effect. Is this a problem with Mate?

4 Yes the testparm on the gnome classic install gives the output
Unknown parameter encountered: "SharePoint User Allow guests"
Ignoring unknown parameter "SharePoint User Allow guests"
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

Don't know if it helps but this is my fstab pointing at an NTFS data partition but using a label instead of UUID

LABEL=500-data       /home/user/500-data   ntfs-3g  defaults,uid=1000         0      0
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks UKbrian

I redid the fstab file exactly as before and now it mounts the data partition. Computers!!!!!

Now all i need to crack are the other points above.
GregE

Post by GregE »

for what it is worth .....

Not trying to be rude but why spend so much effort to run Mate? Install Cinnamon and you will have Nautilus and Nautilus Share plus all the up to date goodness of Gnome 3 running underneath. Cinnamon has the same work style as Gnome 2 - that is why it was created. I run real Gnome 3 and have no issues with seeing and accessing a Windows 7 box and an XP VM, and sharing files to the Windows machines from LMDE. Some work was required to configure Samba for simple shares. Cinnamon will work the same as it is just a new shell on top of Gnome 3.

Maybe it is just a case of the best tool for the job.
Godwin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Godwin »

Well Cinnamon doesn't work if you are Vino'ing remotely.. So that might be an issue for some.
GregE wrote:for what it is worth .....

Not trying to be rude but why spend so much effort to run Mate? Install Cinnamon and you will have Nautilus and Nautilus Share plus all the up to date goodness of Gnome 3 running underneath. Cinnamon has the same work style as Gnome 2 - that is why it was created. I run real Gnome 3 and have no issues with seeing and accessing a Windows 7 box and an XP VM, and sharing files to the Windows machines from LMDE. Some work was required to configure Samba for simple shares. Cinnamon will work the same as it is just a new shell on top of Gnome 3.

Maybe it is just a case of the best tool for the job.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Ok. So far I found from the mate forum that an update of mate-system-tools was needed (-1.2.3-1). Found a deb on Ubuntu and installed it. After starting fuse in the services I am able to share the folders thro Nautilus. I can now see all the shared folders across the lan on my windows machine but oddly am unable to open my own documents and settings. Nautilus states that I do not have the permission necessary. On the windows machine I can see LMDE but am told I do not have the permission to use the network resource. All of this works on my Mint classic install and therefore the problems are in Mint and not windows.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I can now see all the shared folders across the lan on my windows machine but oddly am unable to open my own documents and settings. Nautilus states that I do not have the permission necessary.
Nautilus isn't telling you that you don't have permissions - it's just relaying the message from Windows. What username and password are you giving it?
On the windows machine I can see LMDE but am told I do not have the permission to use the network resource
At the hostname level or at the share level?

We may need to start over again: Please post the output of the following commands:

testparm -s

net usershare info --long.

smbtree
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

altair4 your worth your weight in gold, your network knowledge is amazing, thank you for sharing it. :D
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

@ukbrain, only when I get it right and this one may put me in retirement.

Return to “LMDE Archive”