Nautilus File Share (SOLVED)

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ukbrian

Re: Nautilus File Share

Post by ukbrian »

altair4 wrote:@ukbrain, only when I get it right and this one may put me in retirement.
I'm already retired thankfully. :D
I couldn't get SolusOS to see my network drive for months and I was hoping you would show on their forums but it's working now. :lol:
I like the methodical way you do things and your patience with folk. Image
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks for the thoughts.

On reflection my last post was made after I had re-installed my original smb.conf. Changing back to Altair's version I could no longer see the other machine on the lan or access it from windows.

I re-entered my original smb.conf and remembered that this was a new install and the with the help of previous posting from Altair
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23169 I have solved the problem.

Just one question Altair when doing testparm -s the comment Unknown parameter encountered: "SharePoint User Allow guests"
Ignoring unknown parameter "SharePoint User Allow guests" is shown. Deleting that line seems to effect being able to access the computer from windows and originated from one of the two posts listed above. If it is needed why does it show as it does in testparm?
Last edited by Fornhamfred on Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Fornhamfred wrote:Just one question Altair when doing testparm -s the comment Unknown parameter encountered: "SharePoint User Allow guests"
Ignoring unknown parameter "SharePoint User Allow guests" is shown. Deleting that line seems to effect being able to access the computer from windows and originated from one of the two posts listed above. If it is needed why does it show as it does in testparm?
I know nothing about SharePoint but if you do a "man smb.conf" you will see no reference to it. Keeping the line or deleting the line should make no difference since when samba runs it ignores it:
Unknown parameter encountered: "SharePoint User Allow guests"
Ignoring unknown parameter "SharePoint User Allow guests"
"testparm" is a simulator that displays the affect your smb.conf has on the defaults ( the defaults are not in smb.conf - in fact the defaults are not in a user editable file). When samba runs it takes smb.conf, compares it to the defaults, makes any additions or overrides specified in smb.conf and runs with it - just like testparm says it will. If testparm says it's ignoring something chances are pretty good that the samba service that's running on your machine is ignoring it too.

It may well be that SharePoint is designed to have one of it's parameters specified in smb.conf for reasons I'm not privy to.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Nautilus File Share (SOLVED)

Post by Fornhamfred »

Thanks Altair for you help.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Just another little problem.

All seemed to work fine but now I cannot see either the windows machine from LMDE or LMDE from windows. How-ever if I restart samba everything works again.
In the samba log it states that samba has been started at boot, how-ever there is no output from "smbtree".
I found on google several comments about timing when starting up but could not follow them. Any suggestions please.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I suspect that samba is started in the boot process before the network is up. The smbd part of that service will start just fine but the nmbd part will fail ( thus no smbtree output ) if there is no network.

Give this a shot:
Create a file:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/network/if-up.d/samba-restart
With this content:

#!/bin/sh
service samba restart
Save the file and make it executable:

sudo chmod +x /etc/network/if-up.d/samba-restart
Any script placed in if-up.d will run only after the network is up.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Yes Thanks

Works like a dream.
samjam

Post by samjam »

So are "caja-share" or "mate-file-manager-share" every going to be added to the mind repos?
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

I would ask this question on the mate website http://forums.mate-desktop.org/index.php

Return to “LMDE Archive”