Mate freezes - maybe related to psmouse or smartscroll

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Emerson Prado

Mate freezes - maybe related to psmouse or smartscroll

Post by Emerson Prado »

I'm using LMDE, following the 'latest' flavour, with Mate and still using gdm3 (didn't migrate do mdm yet). Sometimes, my computer freezes for some minutes, usually during or after a CPU intensive task.
Today it froze, and I got this from tail /var/log/messages:
Jun 30 13:40:54 <host> kernel: [ 7300.546457] psmouse serio1: bad data from KBC - timeout
(Previous lines were only related to boot)
I'm judging that Mate froze, and not anything else, because this started happening after I migrated to Mate (from Gnome sHell). But I'm far from expert, and this judgement can be plain wrong.
I saw a probably related but here: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71950
I can't tell if this happens during mouse action. The /var/log/messages line was my only clue pointing to the mouse.
Did anyone see anything similar? What can be happening? Should I switch to mdm?
Many thanks,
Emerson
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Emerson Prado

Re: Mate freezes - maybe related to psmouse or smartscroll

Post by Emerson Prado »

One funny thing: despite the error message points to psmouse, the mouse is the only thing that actually works during these hangups. This is reproduced every time.
Best regards,
Emerson
TPUSER

Post by TPUSER »

Emerson Prado:

Sorry you got no response, because this exact thing happens to me. The mouse works but is very jerky. Nothing else gets any response. No keyboard input is recognized. This has only happened in Mate to me. KDE is OK as is XFCE.
Emerson Prado

Post by Emerson Prado »

I've switched to MDM and kernel 3.x for a good while now. I don't know if any of these fixed the issue, but it's been also a good while it doesn't happen. Unfortunately, I can't relate one thing to the other - just recommend said update.
Regards,
Emerson

Return to “LMDE Archive”