Good god what happened to mate

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
danielfnj96

Good god what happened to mate

Post by danielfnj96 »

So i just installed LMDE on my computer with mate and it doesn't even resemble the mate i know, to me it seems more like cinnamon actually. I did check though and it seems mate is installed and i logged in under the mate desktop but its not what i had in mind at all. First off there is only one panel no biggy i can easily fix that in the the settings, but the main issue is with that horrid menu, i just really don't like it at all. So is this normal or was there an issue with my iso? I saw the same thing though with all the disks ive tried (LMDE and Mint 14) and decided if i can't fix it up i'll just install another GUI. So does anyone know how i can get the mate i know and love back? You know, the one with the three menus at the the top of the screen. Any replies would be appreciated. Also i have mate installed on my fedora disk and its fine which just raises more questions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Good god what happened to mate

Post by xenopeek »

danielfnj96 wrote:So is this normal or was there an issue with my iso?
This is how MATE comes pre-configured on Linux Mint. You can re-configure it as you want. There is no "issue" with your ISO.
danielfnj96 wrote:You know, the one with the three menus at the the top of the screen.
Remove the mintMenu, add the Menu Bar. That is the Applications|Places|System thingy you want. Remove the one by right-clicking it and selecting Remove From Panel (probably first deselect Lock To Panel), then add the other through Add to Panel by right-clicking empty spot on the panel.

You can add a panel by right-click empty spot on the panel and selecting New Panel.

Note that also on Cinnamon you can do the exact same thing (two panels, and Applications|Places|System menu), so I don't follow your grubbiness here.
danielfnj96 wrote:Also i have mate installed on my fedora disk and its fine which just raises more questions.
Fedora pre-configures MATE differently. Whether you prefer that or any other configuration, you can configure it as you want easily.
danielfnj96

Re: Good god what happened to mate

Post by danielfnj96 »

Ok that fixed it, thanks.

Return to “LMDE Archive”