(SOLVED) Mate Desktop turned into a Debian Desktop after UP7

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
lupgaru

(SOLVED) Mate Desktop turned into a Debian Desktop after UP7

Post by lupgaru »

I had 201204 installed on IBM Thinkpad T42, 2Gbs ram for days and it worked great. When it was time for updates it told me the system was pointed to UP7. Went through all of the updates with several warnings then finally Update Manager and Synaptic tell me I'm up to date. Problem is that Mate Desktop is gone. I now have top and bottom panels, Mate menu is gone and I have the Debian logo in the top left corner with applications. My login default is Mate but this is what I get. Gnome is a black screen and nothing works. Tried to upload screenshot but it's too big.
Does anyone know how I could get my old Mate desktop with the menu in the bottom left corner with Favorites and All Application in large Icons like I had to start with. My desktop now looks like I installed Debian 6.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank You
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Mate Desktop turned into a Debian Desktop after UP7

Post by Monsta »

lupgaru wrote:Problem is that Mate Desktop is gone.
That's an exaggeration - MATE desktop is not gone. What you see is MATE that's reset to its own defaults, not to the Mint defaults. This is a known problem, it happens on upgrade from MATE 1.4 to 1.6 if mint-artwork-mate is not installed.
lupgaru wrote:Gnome is a black screen and nothing works.
If you mean Gnome Shell, you'll need to take additional action to make it work. Read the Update Pack notes in your Update Manager for more info.
lupgaru wrote:how I could get my old Mate desktop
By doing a lot of manual work.

Remove the upper panel:
  • right-click on any applet on that panel -> uncheck "Lock to panel";
  • right-click on it once more -> "Remove From Panel";
  • repeat these two items until the panel is empty;
  • right-click on the panel itself -> "Delete This Panel".
Add the applets to the lower panel:
  • remove the unwanted applets - Trash and Workspace Switcher;
  • right-click on the panel -> "Add to Panel" -> select "mintMenu" -> click "Add";
  • right-click on the added applet -> "Move" -> move it to the left or where you wish;
  • when you're satisfied with the applet's position, right-click on it again -> check "Lock to panel";
  • repeat these three items for the applets named "Notification Area" and "Clock" (these need to be moved to the right).
lupgaru

Re: Mate Desktop turned into a Debian Desktop after UP7

Post by lupgaru »

You are correct, followed your instructions and put everything back. Love it. Thanks ever so much for the help. Now I have to change the post as Solved. :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”