Linux Mint LMDE Network Connections not opening

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint LMDE Network Connections not opening

Post by screenshot »

i had a problem where the NetworkManager Applet icon from the right-bottom was missing(i wanted to connect to a wireless network) and the Network Connections panel aka nm-connection-editor simply did not open... (only flashed once). When i typed the same command into terminal, it gave somekind of font errors... ? the only way i was able to fix it, was that i changed the theme and restarted the laptop...

i tried lots of commands like "ifconfig wlan0 up", "sudo service network-manager restart", etc, but nothing helped...
is this "true" by default or it doesnt matter? (it was false for me, so i changed it to true, but that also didnt change anything):

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true
at the moment it still gives similar error, but atleast wifi now works:

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
the problem perhaps started when i was trying to get the hibernation to work while using a wired connection, so i just disabled wireless from that right-bottom menu...
and the hibernation also hangs up in the loading screen most of the times... wonder how to get that working? (i used the method where i entered some UID somewhere...)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux Mint LMDE Network Connections not opening

Post by Monsta »

screenshot wrote:the only way i was able to fix it, was that i changed the theme and restarted the laptop...
Known bug related to Unico. Don't use the theme that caused crashes and uninstall gtk3-engines-unico.
screenshot wrote:is this "true" by default or it doesnt matter? (it was false for me, so i changed it to true, but that also didnt change anything):

sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[main]
plugins=ifupdown,keyfile

[ifupdown]
managed=true
Change it back to how it was and leave it alone, for one should not fix what's not broken.
screenshot wrote:at the moment it still gives similar error, but atleast wifi now works:

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 103: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-droid-sans-fonts.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
This is unrelated.
screenshot wrote:the problem perhaps started when i was trying to get the hibernation to work while using a wired connection, so i just disabled wireless from that right-bottom menu...
If the problem has been fixed by changing the theme, then it has been started by changing the theme.
screenshot wrote:and the hibernation also hangs up in the loading screen most of the times... wonder how to get that working? (i used the method where i entered some UID somewhere...)
Different problems should go in different threads.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

i havent changed any themes before, only now when i had this problem (i saw the font error, so i thought that other theme might have a different font)

the only thing i did, was that i turned wifi off, plugged the ethernet cable in and followed all this in the first post:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... te#p557205

altho i might be running lmde mate desktop... where to check that ?

edit* i guess this worked: "lsb_release -a"
is the latest lmde mate based on debian 6 or 7 tho?
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

LMDE is based on debian testing (at this moment it's jessie - debian 8 in the future)
as for your problem, please try to run 'nm-applet' in your terminal. it will give us a hint what happened with nm-applet. the font error message is only a warning and should not kill nm-applet.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

ok thx. but the nm-applet now works and opens a new one until i press ctrl+x
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

glad to hear that. it means your problem is solved :D
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

well yes, but i cant really call it solved because i dont even know what caused it...
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

that's normal. in my experience nm-applet sometimes behave like in your description and sometimes it run just fine. I think that's a bug from nm-applet. I never have a time to fully figure it out.

Return to “LMDE Archive”