Install Compiz and GNOME 2 Extensions In MATE?

Install Compiz and GNOME 2 Extensions In MATE?

Postby 11ryanc on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:33 pm

I'm currently planning on installing LMDE x64 + MATE on my upcoming PC, and it's been brought to my attention that MATE does not include Compiz, or any other sort of additional component for managing desktop visual effects. I'm just wondering if anybody knows of any stable, and practical desktop effect manager that can be used under Linux Mint MATE? I've seen Compiz used in the past under MDE, but it appears to be unstable for some people and leads to breakage within the OS especially in some of the later releases. I'm not really into throwing in a bunch of eyecandy and bogging down the system, but I would like to have just some basic visual effects. Such as transition animations opening and closing windows etc. Also wondering where I can find additional themes and addons for MATE? Seems that the GNOME project has removed all old downloadable GNOME 2 extensions
~Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
11ryanc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Install Compiz and GNOME 2 Extensions In MATE?

Postby clfarron4 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Themes: In theory, anything GTK2 works, so look at the GTK2 section of [url]gnome-look.org[/url], download them and extract them to ~/.themes (note the punctuation!) and away you go.

Applets: These have to be forked to work with MATE, so you'd probably be best either forking them yourself OR asking over on the MATE github.

As for MATE with Compiz, I currently use Compiz 0.8 with the fusion-icon to get it working on ArchLinux. It should be the same on LMDE (isn't there a thread on how to get it working on LMDE on these forums?).
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Postby 11ryanc on Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:37 pm

clfarron4 wrote:Themes: In theory, anything GTK2 works, so look at the GTK2 section of [url]gnome-look.org[/url], download them and extract them to ~/.themes (note the punctuation!) and away you go.

Applets: These have to be forked to work with MATE, so you'd probably be best either forking them yourself OR asking over on the MATE github.

As for MATE with Compiz, I currently use Compiz 0.8 with the fusion-icon to get it working on ArchLinux. It should be the same on LMDE (isn't there a thread on how to get it working on LMDE on these forums?).

Ok, I see. As for Compiz though, I heard that some people are having issues after installing it under Linux Mint MATE. Has anybody successfully got it running under LMDE MATE stable? My concern is that even if it does work, it could have problems in newer versions of the OS and DE. Doesn't seem to have a good history with certain releases from what I've read looking at some of the forums and tutorials on YouTube. I see people reporting that they either get caught in a loop where the desktop becomes unusable, or they loose the panel bar etc. Just a big mix of feedback, to me it just doesn't seem stable to mess with. I'm somewhat new to Linux in general, so I'd be lost if something went crucially wrong. This is the tutorial I found: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1298
Any suggestions, or perhaps an alternative to Compiz all together?
11ryanc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clfarron4 on Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:04 pm

If I can get my head around how you build packages from source neatly in Ubuntu, I'll fork the damn thing myself specifically for MATE in the same way Arch has with their mate-compiz package.

As for other suggestions, I have none at the moment.
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.
clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Postby 11ryanc on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Well, I'll poke around with this all later then. PC's pretty low on RAM, so testing within a VM isn't really an option. Will try out a few things and tinker with Compiz once I get my new PC I guess. Was hoping for a good alternative though, Compiz just seems somewhat unstable. Oh well. Anyways thanks for the tips guys.
Just want my MATE desktop dressed up with a little eyecandy :wink:
11ryanc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cyb3rc0de on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:59 pm

I dont want to dissapoint you bro, but compiz is no longer maintained. You will have to stick with effects who comes from DE itself.
Meh! :P
cyb3rc0de
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 11ryanc on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:24 pm

cyb3rc0de wrote:I dont want to dissapoint you bro, but compiz is no longer maintained. You will have to stick with effects who comes from DE itself.

That's what I was afraid of, reason I was seeking a viable alternative instead. MATE default visual effects? Sadly nothing more than optional compositioning effects and smooth fonts :/
Oh well, guess it's not all that important. Just a huge bonus. How about KWin? I hear KDE components go along nicely with XFCE. But same time, nobody knows how long that will continue to last the further into future updates. Besides, with XFCE you have to build it up yourself to make it into a fully featured DE. Although it is really nice. Just no official support for the Debian edition of Mint, unless I used SolydX. Which in my opinion is great, but not as good as Mint in many ways, along with theming. Besides, I still do like MATE better in the way that it works.
All in all, I could live without the extra effects. A huge loss imo, but I won't let it hold me back from using an entire OS and desktop.
11ryanc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cyb3rc0de on Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:52 am

11ryanc wrote:
cyb3rc0de wrote:I dont want to dissapoint you bro, but compiz is no longer maintained. You will have to stick with effects who comes from DE itself.

That's what I was afraid of, reason I was seeking a viable alternative instead. MATE default visual effects? Sadly nothing more than optional compositioning effects and smooth fonts :/
Oh well, guess it's not all that important. Just a huge bonus. How about KWin? I hear KDE components go along nicely with XFCE. But same time, nobody knows how long that will continue to last the further into future updates. Besides, with XFCE you have to build it up yourself to make it into a fully featured DE. Although it is really nice. Just no official support for the Debian edition of Mint, unless I used SolydX. Which in my opinion is great, but not as good as Mint in many ways, along with theming. Besides, I still do like MATE better in the way that it works.
All in all, I could live without the extra effects. A huge loss imo, but I won't let it hold me back from using an entire OS and desktop.

MATE dev team is aware of this. They are expanding its effects and features but still keeping the traditional look and feel of MATE. In MATE 1.8 you get a lot of stuff including panel high-width resize option(as far as I know). I am sure MATE is going to get better and better as time passes, so they can bring us a lot of awesome stuff that old GNOME 2 and Compiz left behind.
Meh! :P
cyb3rc0de
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 11ryanc on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 pm

cyb3rc0de wrote:
11ryanc wrote:

MATE dev team is aware of this. They are expanding its effects and features but still keeping the traditional look and feel of MATE. In MATE 1.8 you get a lot of stuff including panel high-width resize option(as far as I know). I am sure MATE is going to get better and better as time passes, so they can bring us a lot of awesome stuff that old GNOME 2 and Compiz left behind.

Cool, hope they do improve on some of the additional visual effects. I love the old GNOME 2, truly the best desktop out there for Linux imo. So hoping to see more updates and maybe a re-spin of Compiz.
11ryanc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dr. Octagon on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Hello,

try this one: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=155121 It works for me on LMDE!!

For your information: I'm running Compiz with Mate 1.6 since 5 month and there are no flaws noticeable meanwhile and I follow just my own instructions. ;)
I was using Compiz many years, but I thought after Mate 1.5 Compiz is dead... until now. :)

Cu
Dr. Octagon
Dr. Octagon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby topolinik on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:21 am

Just for you to know, I'm using compton (which itself is a fork from old xcmpmgr) and what I can say is... it's nice.
The package is really light and I got elegant window shadows, smooth fading in and fading out, but the command line switches allow for waaay more possibilities.
topolinik
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 11ryanc on Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Well that's awesome you guys got it working :D Hope the MATE developers will package Compiz by default and officially support it.
Will definitely give it a go when I get LMDE installed though.
11ryanc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to MATE