List of "open with" programs is broken

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
simplex

List of "open with" programs is broken

Post by simplex »

Hello,

when I right-click in Caja on a program and go to "open with " -> "other application", I get three times "winebrowser" as selectable, though I have not installed wine. I get three times "banshee" (which is installed) and three times vlc (which is also installed), twice without icon, once with mini-icon. How can I fix this and what does cause the error?

S.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kurotsugi

Re: List of "open with" programs is broken

Post by kurotsugi »

I forgot how I exactly fix it. IIRC you need to reset the mimeaps setting by delete /home/<usename>/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and /home/<username>/.local/share/mime then restart your system.
simplex

Post by simplex »

Thank you for your hint. I have just tried it, but it did not work. The list is still messy.

S.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

Caja might have it's own separated mimeaps list or there is another mimeaps list. do you see another file in the folders I've mentioned?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Usually instead of deleting things like that, I rename them. Just in case I need them back.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

renaming them won't work because system will read anything in that folder. you can copy it to your home directory if you want to keep that messed up list.
simplex

Post by simplex »

kurotsugi wrote:Caja might have it's own separated mimeaps list or there is another mimeaps list. do you see another file in the folders I've mentioned?
I have now deleted the folder ".local/share/applications/" completely. Now the list "open with" seems to be ok, with the exception of "banshee" showing up three times. The other folder is containing:

Code: Select all

$ ls .local/share/mime/
aliases        globs   image       packages    treemagic  XMLnamespaces
application    globs2  magic       subclasses  types
generic-icons  icons   mime.cache  text        version

kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

I never use banshee so that I'm not quite sure about this. it could be banshee's problem or something isn't right when your system create a new mimiaps list. when I messed up my mimeaps list I usually delete everything to make sure everything fixed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Have you installed more than one DE?
http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopi ... =846#p2727
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
simplex

Post by simplex »

all41 wrote:Have you installed more than one DE?
No. I have neither an XFCE, nor a Cinnamon package installed. On startup, I can only select a MATE session in the display manager.

I have just removed "banshee". It did not show up in the list anymore. Then I reinstalled it. Now again, there are three "banhee" entries.

There are also two entries for "gthumb" (with icon), and one for "AptUrl" and "LibreOffice XSLT" without an icon.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

The implementation of mime kinda sucks.
I tried to change the goofy names that show up to be the file extension instead; rather than "JPEG image" it should be "JPG". Gave up (actually changed a couple...but they changed back. IIRC, there's a separate file for each extension type, so you'd have to change N files for N types, but don't quote me on that. The official documentation is awful).

Here's a(n iffy?) script that removes duplicate entries:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=20798
Even if you don't run it, it might show where the ludicrous files are located.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “LMDE Archive”